Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
TheThrill02

Old Fenwick Rods

Hello everyone, and sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong place. I have a question about these two old Fenwick rods I got from someone. I have no plans on selling them, but I'd at least like to know what they are. Their model numbers are FL84-5 and FL/2-6. I took the FL84-5 out to a warmwater creek and had a blast. Two bass and two gill, and they felt great for their small size. Thanks for any help, and I'm really sorry if I'm posting in the wrong place. My curiosity is killing me.

I'm not sure what your questions are.

The rods should have markings on them giving length and line weights. The first one the FL 84-5 is an early fiberglass thatis desirable. The second model number is a mystery to me. You can look them up on the inet as there is a compete listing of all Fenwick fiberglass models there. For lots of lore on their care and uses checkout the Fiberglassflyrod forum.. You will also find some very nice custom rods there that put the older glass rods to shame. You will find a dedicated set of fly rodders who use only glass rods and really groove on the better made early rod -- like the Fenwicks. Prices vary depending on condition and rarity but they do not get anywhere near those that quality bamboo rods command.

Rocco

I believe the FL xx-y were all sold as blanks to be built by you, me, whoever.

I'm not sure if/when they stopped selling blanks to custom builders, I believe some of the old Grizzly rods pre-Feralite (metal ferrels with O-ring-1955-1962) were marked FL and all through the Feralite (tip over butt glass to glass starting production 1963) and have seen rods mentioned as Fenwick Woodstream designated as FLxx (Woodstream bought Fenwick in the late '70s)

The FL84-5 should be 84" (7') long and tapered for a 5weight line. The other rod rings no bells for me.

From 1960-1980 the production rods had serial numbers that could date them to a year, I don't know if the blanks were so marked or not.

Production rods were marked FFxx as far as I know, where the length was given in feet rather than inches.

Just had a thought the other rod is probably marked FL72-6 a 6' rod for 6 wt line.

My Fenwick FF 85 is 8 1/2' long.

The following description of your rod comes from the list I mentiioned above.

"FF84 8½ foot, 2 piece, 3⅞, 4, or 4⅛ oz., 5-6 weight, marked WF7F. I like a DT5. Lovely to cast. (Tom) A sweet casting rod (with a DT6F) with extra reach, lots of power in the butt section, while still having the finesse for smaller flies in the tip. Great medium-to-large-water rod. (Doug)"

Rocco

I got a little more information on the rods, and yes, they were blanks. You guys pretty much answered the first one, which I thank you for. I'm still really confused on the second one. I've found no information on it. I'll send a picture showing the model number that was put on the rod. Thanks for all the help that everyone has given!

Just had a thought the other rod is probably marked FL72-6 a 6' rod for 6 wt line.

Wait I got an idea! I think its a Fenwick 72-6. The 7 is worn out tho. At least I think!

;)

The brown color leads me to believe late '70s or '80s, earlier FL blanks I've seen were yellow. Are the ferrules tip over butt, spigot or sleeve over? Do they have serial numbers starting with a letter?

Sorry tjm, I'm a little confused by the terminology. I'm not sure whether the ferrules are tip over but, spigot or sleeve over. I admit I'm no rod expert (I'm actually very, very, very far from it). But, I wasn't the one who built these rods. These were actually given to someone else as a gift (my old neighbor actually). Since he was growing old, he had no use for them anymore (I'd personally keep them my entire life). So, he gave the rods to me along with the rest of his old fishing gear. Anyways, both rods are only one piece, and the rod is question is only around 6 feet. Thanks for trying to help though.

6'=72"= FL72- (if the same rod was a factory build it would be marked FF60 = 6'0")

One piece has no ferrules, I just asked that to kinda get an idea of age, there was sort of a trend in what was used at a given time.