Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Guest rich mc

kahle hooks

Guest rich mc

i have a worm pattern that works good ona kahle hook does anyone know of a brand that is not a bronze hook thanks rich mc

Mustad & Eagle Claw both make Kahle hooks in finishes other than bronze. Mustad 37160NP-DT, 37160NP-RD & E.C. Lazer Series with straight eye: L141BP (platinum black), L142 nickel, L143 gold. With turned down eye: 144BK platinum black, 144SS stainless, 145 nickel

VMC also makes a Kahle hook in a tinned Permasteel finish.(model #9800 & 9801) They call it a wide gap hook.

Kahle style hooks are often used in making Flounder rigs, and are a commonly used hook for catfish.

I still have some 2/0 Mustad's in a tinned finish, which I make Flounder rigs with & also tied some flies on for Flounder.

Guest rich mc

thank you tidewater . ive been to gander mtn.dicks sports and only seen the bronze. ill check them out. i have had good luck with the vmc line of hooks for both ewg bass and wide gap walleye ( almost keel style). the kahle hook makes a nice stand up fly if you put a dumbell weight on it.my chenille worms look like the shakey head worms the bass guys use. rich mc

I've used the Mustad lazer kahle hooks when fishing sand fleas on a pompano rig and they are strong and sharp. Never used them on a fly but don't see why they wouldn't work well

Slightly aside, but Kahle hooks also make a great hook for crawdads. Tie in dumbells just above the bend and it keeps the hook point well above the bottom, as well as giving the fly a heads up look.

Deeky