Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
HalfDunn

720 Vice

There is a 720 vice up for grabs on Ebay but is it any good? What are the jaws like. My be better on a normal base as it looks a bit crowded as it is.

Half,

I am a beginner, however, I have spent the last thirty minutes trying to find your vise....

There are a few threads on it but to be perfectly honest.....I wouldn't touch it.

You haven't stated your level of tying....

You haven't stated WHAT you are tying for (bass, trout, bluegill, tarpon) you get my point.......

What do YOU actually need from a vise???????

Read this again......

What do YOU NEED from a vise?

Are you looking for a rotary function, What are you trying to tie?

Personally as a beginner I wouldn't go with the 720 but that is just me from a BRAND NEW guy to tying.....YMMV...

Mike

There's a reason why they are out of production...I'd recommend "pass".

You have no clue why they are out of production. I know Vincent Stu and he builds a quality vise. The 720 vise is a cool idea and watching Vincent Stu work with vise is amazing.He just lost his sources for the manufacturing of this vise.

Carl

Thanks Mike. I am a newish tyer and currently use this:- http://www.stonfo.com/site/product/523?parent_section_id=3&category_id=139. I tie mainly Trout flies in the range #10 down to #20. I hate the 180deg click on this vice but I want a rotary function. The base is too small I have to use the clamp to get it stable. It is a pain setting the jaws and I have to swap the jaws far too often. I got it cheap though.

So I am looking for a true rotary vice with no clicks but tension adjustment. Stable base. Good easy to adjust jaws that can hold a range of hooks and by a lever.

The 720 is at a buy it now of £150 so that is my budget.

Half,

I am a beginner, however, I have spent the last thirty minutes trying to find your vise....

There are a few threads on it but to be perfectly honest.....I wouldn't touch it.

Personally as a beginner I wouldn't go with the 720 but that is just me from a BRAND NEW guy to tying.....YMMV...

Mike

why not? whats so bad about it

have you actually seen one in use and what it can do or not do?

A few years ago, some guy posted how much he loved his 720. His fervor for the 720 was a little much as I remember.

Not sure how much I would use the parachute tool, unless tying parachutes of course. But the vise itself doesn't look too bad. Better looking than a J-vise in my opinion ;)

re: 720 vs Jvise… in my opinion… NO comparison whatsoever...

image-2_zps1d2965ad.jpg

if you want to do parachutes...

but don't want a dedicated tool...

​consider this lazy-susan option…

DSCN0243_zpsde1c95ce.jpg

image-2_zps1d2965ad.jpg

DSCN0243_zpsde1c95ce.jpg

LOL

Eh i wasnt making any claims about functionality, merely aesthetics. i cant comment negatively or positively on either vise as I have not used them. I just dont care for the looks of the j-vise. I know there are tons of rabid j-vise users that will defend its honor but I dont like the way it looks and would not like to sit down daily and tie flies on it.

'right up there with the AMC Gremlin, festering nose piercings, and sucking chest wounds...

F70A0672_zps2d548cf5.jpg

F70A1516_zpsd4d0d354.jpg