Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
chrisfish

need a steelheaders opinoin

I fish wisconsin and indy streams and rivers. I have only specificly targeted steelhead a total of 80 hrs so far. started last feb. And when oct rolls around i get the salmon bug. Anyway, I'm going fishing this week and plan to target steelhead and browns. I have marabou speys, traditional speys, some nymphs and a few steamers. I was tying flies last night and i came up with these. I figuar they could be fished as a streamer, or as a glorified yarn fly/ egg. What do you experienced steelheaders think? (tail: Marabou/ Body: Flashabou/ Head-wing:egg yarn)

post-5673-1161228088_thumb.jpgpost-5673-1161228124_thumb.jpgpost-5673-1161228140_thumb.jpg

Chrisfish,

looks good. If you are heading to indiana this weekend the water is up at bit but i have seen fish moving though in michigan city. I have not had enough time to fish but sometimes at lunch I go and look around for a few minutes. I am not sure about any other spots in Indiana because I have not been out or heard anything from any one lately.

good luck this weekend

Mike

hey thanks guys. I realy wanted to fish in indy tomarow, but my brother (the one doing the driving) would rather try elsewhere. I'll stick to the plan and fish for steelhead and browns and i'll let you know if the flies seem attractive to em.

Well my brother got one steely with the new fly. The kings were lovin em. got four legit and lost at least four others by noon. also had a fair brown but she got off also. So for the first impression: I like em. Thank for the video Shaq

post-5673-1161407836_thumb.jpg

chrisfish - Nice photo and thanks for the report. You should name this fly and add the three flys to the pattern database (along with tying instructions...hint...hint...)

thanks ray. I called it the Gawdy fly and put it in the DB. its a real easy, quick tie. crack some out and let me know how ya do.