Fly Tying
Jon Boy

Allys Tricolour

hi all

good to see a forum for fishing flies

this is a chewed up tricolour invented by scottish angler ally gowans

the fly done well for the back end of the season.

the season is now over

i will try to get a photo of one fresh from the vice as well as submit other flies that were sucessful at the end of the season

all the best

john

John: I think that color combination might work well for the early part of the season (for black salmon) here in the other side of the Atlantic. Thanks for sharing it!

Bill

John:

Sorry, it should have occurred to me that the term might not be used elsewhere. "Black salmon" are Atlantic salmon that have returned to spawn and spent the winter in a river before returning to the salt water, rather than head back to the ocean the previous fall. They are still in the river in the spring before the earliest "bright" spring-run fish arrive from the salt, and have regained their hunger. People often fish for them with large bright-colored flies, a lot of them streamer patterns instead of classic salmon flies. Some folks enjoy fishing for them, while many others claim they do not fight well, and they are sometimes called "slinks."

Bill

hi all

good to see a forum for fishing flies

this is a chewed up tricolour invented by scottish angler ally gowans

the fly done well for the back end of the season.

the season is now over

i will try to get a photo of one fresh from the vice as well as submit other flies that were sucessful at the end of the season

all the best

john

Hi John

Funny that an Irich guy uses a Scottish pattern instead of your own Apache shrimp :rolleyes:

Nice ally anyway. These hair wings works Have you ver tried to tie them with soft eg. Artic fox ?

Regards

Jens

thanks all for the comments

bill

thank you for the information

Jens

I always perfer to fish irish shrinp patterns

however ths backend the water was very high, higher than i ever seen it. So it was very fast.

i find shrimps work best in more slower flows hence my choice for a long hairwing pattern

another river i fished in the back end was not so high and the best pattern was a bann shrimp

just beginning to use artic fox. I used a temple dog style which was sucessful at the end of the season

all the best

john