Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Moshup

Help I.D. ing older vise

Happy New Year's everyone. We were guests today at a New Year's day dinner and the host who is an older man brought out this vise and said it was his grandfather's and did not have any further info on the vise. Does anyone on board know this vise and any guesstimates on how old it is ? It's kinda neat .

post-59483-0-66078500-1514859175_thumb.jpeg

Very similar to the one used by Roy Steenrod. That vise which was recently sold on Vintage Fly Tackle site, was made by Metal Specialties from Attleboro MA. It would date from the early 1900s.

Thanks Utyer I took a look and I do think it's the same model. My friend will be happy to know the background. Thanks.

You can look it up by searching Roy Steenrod'f fly tying vise, it is slightly different, but very close in the basic design.

Yes I found it and it looks very close plus the grandfather lived in Massachusetts so I'm pretty sure that's the company. Can't find anything on the company though with a goggle search.