Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Steeldrifter

Bonsai in fall color

Those are beautiful. So easy to rake up after, too.

This time of year is when a lot of people lose their Bonsai. They still need water, they need the dormancy of winter. The trick is to provide those requirements, but they can't be allowed to freeze solid or dry out.

I've heard of people putting theirs in a refrigerator for a month, but I never did. Where I lived at the time, the winters were mild enough to leave the trees outside under plastic "domes".

Thank you for the pictures, Steve.

I am going to start building a cold frame for them in the next few weeks. The tropicals are now inside under tube lights for the winter, but these two, my boxwood, Japanese quence. and althea are going to have to live in a cold frame for the winter months outside so they can go dormant.

Swv8Uj.jpg

Some of them do Lance. For instance the tree in the very first picture of actually an Azalea which is a very profuse bloomer and puts on quite of display in the spring when it flowers with bright pink blooms. This is a picture of it from this past spring.