Fly Tying

I think I botched this weed guard. Its 50lbs and possibly too close to the hook. Any way to edit it? Also, is 50 lbs to heavy?

post-51578-0-16944300-1404340299_thumb.jpg

PS, I did this on like 5 bucktails so I need a solution. If I cut the guard shorter, will it still block the hook yet not block fish?

I was able to add some glue and push the guard back and since it is 50lbs, it stays in place. I guest my question now is, how short should it be trimmed?

The longer it is, like in the photo, the more likely it is to block the fish. You want it shorter, trim it down to where it is only slightly below the hook point, or above depending on how you look at it.

If the 50# line is too stiff, try flattening it with smooth jaw pliers. Flatten them perpendicular to the fly and as close to the fly as you can get. A little heat on the pliers may be required. Practice on some scrap pieces first.

Jigs like that will ride hook point up, so the weed guard will only come into play if you slow roll it over a stick or something. Cut the mono so it is just beyond the hook point, as Kirk said. You are only going to use them to "deflect" the hook from the snag, not to ride up over it.

If you're looking for bluegill or other small mouthed fish, 50 pound mono will be too tough. If you're looking for bass, it'll clear the hook just fine on the set.