Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
ryanm

Glue smell

Hi, I'm new here, name's Ryan. I've done a very small amount of fly tying in the past. I recently decided to try my hand at tying and opened up a box of some old tying materials to find they all smell of head cement which was also in the box. I know most fish are picky about smell, and was wondering if this would have an effect on using the materials to tie flies. Should I ditch this stuff and start over or is it ok to use?

I live very close to a river. I tied a few quick flies to replace the ones I lost. Coated the heads with cement, got ready to go and put the flies in the box. When I got to the river I opened the box and could smell the head cement. Tied on a fly and first cast caught a fish. Most of my materials smell of moth balls and the like and I catch fish with my flies. I have even heard of people spraying WD-40 on flies and bait as attractant. I guess what I am trying to say is dont throw them away

Ryan,

Most glues have a solvent that evaporates for the drying process of the glue. Even thou, it might feel dry to the touch it is still curing. My rule of thumb...is I let my flies dry for at least 24 hours before I put the flies in the fly box. I hope this helps!

Other suggestions:

Dry Flies - whip finish and no glue.

You can try waterbase head cement. I never used this, so I don't know if the glue is waterproof.

Whip finish tip:

Add wax to the tying thread before you finish off the head, then whip finish the head of the fly. The wax secures the knot and it repels water AND no smell. :D

Tight wraps!

... I know most fish are picky about smell, and was wondering if this would have an effect on using the materials to tie flies....

There are lots of excuses for not catching fish, and one will do pretty much as well as another. This one has been around a long time. When the fish aren't biting, or at least not taking what you are fishing with, it is natural to search for an excuse. In my experience, though, scent is rarely much of a factor when fly fishing.

If the smell is bothering you, let the materials air out for a while, but by all means, use them.

PS; I've been using an alcohol based head cement for several years. Works good, and is definitely waterproof.

Thanks guys, very helpful advice. Looks like I'll go do some reading and see what I can do with these materials. Any advice on where to begin with buying materials to tie with? The selection at my local store is so overwhelming, I don't even know where to begin. Anybody have a list of basic materials I should think about getting that I can manage as a college student. If it helps I'm fishing in the Southeast (mostly chatuga and davidson rivers)

Here are some cheap starter materials and advice: Start simple. Buy enough for only 2-3 patterns. Learn to tie them well, maybe a dozen of each before you learn each technique. I started with Dick Talleur's Basic Fly Tying. I did two patterns a weekend, starting with the first chapter.

In the Southeast try these 3 to get started. The variations should keep you busy for a few weeks and not take away your beer money - Oh I forgot, you're in school to study :lol:

Woolly Bugger

Pheasant tail nymph

Gold-ribbed hare's ear nymph

Unfortunately, this still adds up to over $85, but will last you about 10 years, and, except for the bead head beads and chenille, tie a 50-100 of each pattern and size. By then you will have purchased hundreds of dollars of materials and be in over your head like the rest of us.

Woolly Bugger (black, gray, olive):

Streamer hooks, say size 8 ($9/100)

Black marabou ($3)

Black chenille (also get light gray and dark olive) ($1 each)

Bugger grizzly hackle (a saddle) (~$15)

Black thread 6/0 ($1)

PT nymph (lots of variations here: bead head, with peacock thorax, natural, dyed olive etc.):

One pheasant tail ($3)

#10, #12,#14 nymph hooks (e.g. Mustad 3906B) ($8/100)

Copper lampcord (about 6" should do about 2 dozen flies) for ribbing (scrounge this)

Beadhead beads (5/32", 1/8") $2/dozen??

peacock herl ($3 / bunch)

Black or brown thread ($1)

GRHE (lots of variations here for wing casings, weighed or not)

#10, #12,#14 nymph hooks (e.g. Mustad 3906B) ($8/100)

Brown chinese neck (tail and throat) ($8)

Fine gold tinsel or wire ($2)

Lead-free wire (0.025") ($2)

Hare's ear dubbing ($2)

Dark hare's ear dubbing ($2)

flashabou - pearl (wing casing) ($3)

Tan or brown thread ($1)

Thanks so much Ehemerella! I've actually already got a few of these things, including half of a black saddle which appears to be one of the pricier things on that list. Probably go check on a few more tomorrow and get to tying. Hopefully wont cut into my Pabst money :unsure: er.. I mean study time. Hah, thanks again so much.

A good source for supplies can also be the local taxidermist. I think I have mine on speed dial. As far as cement .. I coat the Zebra midges I tie with Loc-Tite. I still catch fish with them. I wouldn't worry about cement smell if I were you.

Mike