Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ladykiller

Tungsten wire

Guest Ladykiller

Last week I ordered up some tungsten wire ( .010, .015, .020, .025 inches in diameter) from a special supplier in hopes of getting something heavier to weigh flies down with. Well I got it last Friday and gave it a shot on a few hook shanks. I tell you what, this stuff feels about as stiff as steel. It does not bend well and when it does bend, it breaks fairly easily. I actually bet steel would be easier to work with. So there you have it folks, stick with lead wraps and tungsten heads.

I don't know why you guys don't just stick with copper wire, fine electronic solder or lead golf club tape for underwrapping.

Guest Ladykiller

Pacres ... it was a very cheap mistake ... can you say "freebie"! Hehe ... you just got to call up a company and ask for free samples.

Dfix .... we want flies that sink much faster. Tungsten is almost twice as dense as lead.

Good Day,

Speaking of tungsten... I am really having fun experimenting at the vise with tungsten sheeting. It is essentailly a rubber like sheeting that has tungsten mixed in with it. Pick up a single sheet and you can really feel the weight. I stretches a bit too which is nice. I have been making some nice segmented bodies on brown stonefly nymphs thus far. Plan to expand into other nymphs soon. However I have only seen it in brown so far....

Steelie

My local shop is carying tungstomn dust that I am trying mixed in with epoxy heads to giv them a little more gitdown

after hearing about this adventure of yours somehow tim, i asked around at work about tungsten wire (i work in the welding industry and see just about every available wire there is). i never thought to post about it, but after playing with some stuff that we use for our tig welders, i found it to be way to brittle (even in the bigger sizes 1/8 and 3/32). when you went to bend it, it would snap right in half. now if they could find a way to mix the tungsten with another type of material to make it more mallable, then there shouldnt be a problem, but in the welding industry there isnt much of a use for that type of material.

i think if they could find a way to mix it with copper or a small amount of lead and keep it pliable like the lead then someonw would make a bunch of money.