Fly Tying

Anybody on here use a Nor Vise system ? If so how do you like it ? How big is the learning curve for it? I would be quite interested in hearing your opinions on the system.

Love it . Especially with the new adjustable bent arm and midge jaw conversion. I switched out all of my shop vises (for the rotary classes) to this configuration and the student love the new setups. The learning curve actually is not so much the vise but, with the auto-bobbins. But once you get the hang of it and understand how it works, you're laughing...

I now have 6 of these setups in my shop for teaching purposes. I also like the fact that if I have any and I mean any problems Norm is always there to take care of it in an efficent manner. Bottom line - Great Vise, great Company...

I've had mine now for a couple of years, and I Love the thing. They aren't that hard to tie on. Like Longears said the automatic bobbin takes a little getting use to, but I love mine and would recomend it to anyone.

Thanks for the insight, I contemplating on saving up for one.......On one hand I tye a bunch of foam bugs and what not where I can't really see the Nor - Vise working as good a regular vice. But on the other hand I would like to be able to drys and nymphs easier and more efficiently......

Bulldog, I just tie for myself and tie what ever I want or need on it. Yes they aost a little more but it should last a lifetime. I even tie deerhair bugs on it occasionally. It's an awesome vise and will improve your time per fly. For me it's alot simpler to tie with.

I agree with all that was said. Norm is also willing to do just about anything for you, too. The Nor-Vise is a real service with a smile product!

Ray

I love mine. To help out Norm I've bought every jaw set, got my dad to buy one as well. I would like to say I was the inspiration behind the parachute tool too as after I bought my vice I asked if he had one available. Took him a couple years but you can buy one that fits the vice nicely now. I just mount mine on the travel board full time as it's a nice sturdy base to work on and portable. For trout flies and stuff I'd definately go with the extra fine conversion as it gives the vice a more of a typical vice feel but still has the full rotary functions etc...

Just graduated with my Masters (MAT) and my wife treated me to a Nor-Vise as a gift. I've wanted one for years, and now I'm a happy owner of a great vise. While I've only had it for a few weeks now, I'm still getting used to the automatic bobbin, and will have to agree with longears that the learning curve for this vise is with the bobbin itself not the vise. I can't wait to get done with my student teaching, and spend some quality tying time with this vise this summer.

If the cost is somewhat prohibitive, there's a used one on Craigslist (Boise) that includes some of the accessories plus the vise for a decent price. Just to let you know.

I own several vises (Thompson Pro-Vise, Renzetti Traveler, and a Dyna-King Kingfisher) before I got my Nor-Vise, I just wish I would have bought it sooner.

Just my two cents.

Orange Caddis

I have been using my Nor-vise since 1990 or so. I can't remember the exact year, but I purchased it from Norm after an Outdoor show. I had watched him tying on it, and had to have one right away. Mine was an origional model with the aluminum hubs, and didn't come with the friction screw. Mine also came with the wheel adjustment to tighten the jaws. I had the older automatic bobbins, which I had a little problem breaking the springs on. Norm replaced them for me and even sent me an extra bobbin at one time. Lots of vises are "rotary" and many of those can be setup to rotate with the hook in the center of the rotation, but no other vise spins.

I have tied on it steadily ever since. About three years ago, I finally wore out the last of my origional bobbins. I sent for a new set of jaws with the rear cam lever, and a new bobbin kit. The new bobbins are much improoved, and the new jaws were also easier to use. I have never had any problems with the vise holding hooks, but the wheel adjustment was a little cumbersome.

I do use the rotary and spin functions a lot, especially on wooly bugger and leach type patterns. I do a lot of leach bodies by spinning the dubbing right on the thread, and then spinning the hackle right into the thread. Then just wind both on the shank together. Quick and easy.

I also do all my dubbing "brushes" right on the vise.

I can't really remember the learning curve, but it didn't seem to be that much trouble. As far as the price, I think its totally reasonable. The basic vise is a top quality tool, built to last a life time.

Now for the service part:

Norm is great to work with. I decided last month to go ahead and get the fine point conversion kit, the gallows tool, and a second bobbin kit. I emailed Norm about converting my vise to accept the new fine point conversion and if he could add the friction screw to my old vise. He told me the work to retro fit my vise would be included with the purchase of the fine point conversion. I shipped him my vise about 3 weeks ago. Then after about a week, Norm called me to offer tell me that he had finished up my with my vise. He offered to provide me with a set of the new (used) brass hubs to replace my old aluminum hubs, and all the work was done.

I got my vise, back 2 days later. The fine point jaws are great for small trout flies, and with the friction screw, I can lock the jaws at any angle. I have decided that I no longer need to keep a smaller vise just for size 20 and smaller flies. Rotating the vise to wind hackle on a size 24 Griffith Gnat is easier than winding hackle around the tiny hook, and it comes out perfect every time.

Yes, I am a fan of the Nor-vise. From now on it will be my only vise. I have now set up my travel kit with a smaller mounting board, and I won't be using any of my other vises. Anyone interested in a Renzetti Traveler or Dyna-King Sidewinder?

Check the J Stockard web site on the Nor-vise, there are different vise purchase options that include the vise, and a bobbin or a vise, bobbin, and mounting board.

Guest Tony P

I have one & love it but the automatic bobbin is the cats meow, once you get use to it you'll never want to use a standard bobbin again!

Tony P