Fly Tying
VERN-O

Anyone have experience mixing dye colors?

I'm looking to dye a white hen saddle to blue damsel or kingfisher blue. I'm having a bit of trouble getting the color right. I've been using Rit (royal blue, yellow, and green)........I'm not even close......I'm getting a blueish grey. Anyone got any advice?

I'm looking to dye a white hen saddle to blue damsel or kingfisher blue. I'm having a bit of trouble getting the color right. I've been using Rit (royal blue, yellow, and green)........I'm not even close......I'm getting a blueish grey. Anyone got any advice?

What about switching dye brands to something like Jacquard Acid Dye. Its for animal protein fibers and nylon. I haven`t tried dyeing yet but they have Brilliant blue as does Pro Chemical and Dye.

Pro Chem Brilliant Blue

Jacquard Brilliant Blue

I would use Jacquard dyes. I've used them before on Bucktail with good success. There are several colors and mixing charts as well as helpful directions on their site.

BTW - I used the Procion MX dye using the Immersion Dyeing for Protein Fibers method, and it worked extremely well. I don't think I did the simmer thing they talked about (but it's been over a decade since I dyed them - a distinct possibility I'm not remember correctly ;)). I just brought it to a boil, dunked the tails, then pulled them after a few minutes, checked the color, and re-dunked until they had the color I wanted. I was after a very subtle, pastel shade of pink and gray used to tie the SPS Clouser we use in the Delta for stripers.

The Procion MX dye allows one to mix powders for a wider pallete of colors. Mix Chart. Might be worth a call to them to find out if the Procion will harm the cape/saddle you're working with. They suggest elsewhere on the site that their Acid dyes are more appropriate for "feathers", however I couldn't find a mix chart or detailed instructions on how to get shades of the basic colors it's available in :dunno:. Maybe with some poking around on their site you can find the answers to that.

Let us know how it turns out!

Bob V

WOW...thanks for all the input....Moscow thanks to you as well....I didn't realize Rit had a custom color page!!!!