Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
guitarplayingfishingguy

First Clouser

Bought my first marabou and deer hair friday night and finally used it today. I spun some deer hair for the first time for the tail in hopes of it sticking out of the wet marabou for a bleeding effect. Ribbed it with shiny tinsely stuff. I just wish my injury was healed so I can test it. Lol I'll have to put my girlfriend in my waders and have her do it for me. :lol:

I was trying to get under it in Picture 2 to show the bucktail and ribbing but the marabou wouldn't cooperate :rolleyes:

post-27134-1287947876_thumb.jpg

post-27134-1287947891_thumb.jpg

Nice addition of the red deer hair.

Why do you call it a clouser though?

:dunno: Because that's the closest thing i found to it... a marabou clouser. If you've got a better name for it I'd be glad to hear it.

Guest Big E

Just a marabou streamer.

IMO when you say clouser, its an upside down riding fly (the weight of the eyes flips the fly over), with the belly color on top of the hook (which is the bottom when in the water) and the other color on the underside of the hook. Clousers are normally tied with deer hair (although you can tie them with marabou).

While this may seem like semantics, I think the tying revolution and lasting popularity of the Clouser minnow transcends the name and, to me at least, is becoming more of a standardized technique.

Just a marabou streamer.

IMO when you say clouser, its an upside down riding fly (the weight of the eyes flips the fly over), with the belly color on top of the hook (which is the bottom when in the water) and the other color on the underside of the hook. Clousers are normally tied with deer hair.

While this may seem like semantics, I think the tying revolution and lasting popularity of the Clouser minnow transcends the name and, to me at least, is becoming more of a technique.

Hm, I see what you are saying. Then I guess it is my first Marabou streamer... Lol unless it flops upside down. :lol: ;) Thanks for the info.

nice tie and Big E is right Josh I see your tying a bit now so if you want to get together Saturday I can give you a few hints on tying things swing by my house I got a couple extra vises and some materials we can get you going in a right direction

nice tie and Big E is right Josh I see your tying a bit now so if you want to get together Saturday I can give you a few hints on tying things swing by my house I got a couple extra vises and some materials we can get you going in a right direction

K, will do! :headbang: