Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
TheFlyBum

Best Bead Colors For Trout Nymphs & Sizes

I know the old saying that there is no such thing as a stupid question. However, feel like I should be able to find the answer by searching, but I have and I haven't found it here or anywhere on the web. What are the best colors tungsten beads or perhaps the better question is besides gold what are the must have colors?

Also so that I do not buy unnecessary sizes what are the best sizes to buy for hook sizes 4-22 or do you really need all the sizes that can be used for each size bead for some reason? Are there say five or six sizes that would cover all those hook sizes.

Tom, I use copper, gold, and black as my 3 primary colors. I also have some hot colored ones. The size of the beads usually cover 2 hooks sizes. On the back of the packages, there is usually a chart that tells what bead size matches what hook size but not always. Also remember that different bead manufacturers sell different size beads. In other words, one size in one brand may not be the same size in another. My advice is find a company you like and stick with them but always keep an eye out for a good deal.

Rob

Tom, I use copper, gold, and black as my 3 primary colors. I also have some hot colored ones. The size of the beads usually cover 2 hooks sizes. On the back of the packages, there is usually a chart that tells what bead size matches what hook size but not always. Also remember that different bead manufacturers sell different size beads. In other words, one size in one brand may not be the same size in another. My advice is find a company you like and stick with them but always keep an eye out for a good deal.

Rob

Rob pretty much covered it, but if you need a place to get them really cheap then here's this place: http://www.wholesaleflycompany.com/

Rob

Rob pretty much covered it, but if you need a place to get them really cheap then here's this place: http://www.wholesaleflycompany.com/

Rob and Bluegill576, Thank you for the replies.

I have been purchasing tungsten beads to get the nymphs down quickly when tight line nymphing and when fish small deep holes in high water situations like we are having now in Northern CA. I've never used brass, because when I pick up packages of similar size beads tungsten is feels considerably heavier. One of my favorite rivers is lined willows many of which are now in deep water and the flows in most places cannot be waded yet, because the river is around 5500 cfs. So one of the tactics I've been using successfully is to find places I can walk into between willows and fish sections where I may only have 10' sometimes less of deep slow water so the nymphs need to get down quickly. Along with the tunsten beads in most cases I also wrap the hook with led or led substitute.

In the situation described above do you all think brass beads in this situtation would have enough weight as Bluegill mentioned one of the reasons I'm trying to minimize the number of beads I purchase is the price of tungsten beads.

Tom, I was not referring to the weight of the beads but the color. As for weight, tungsten is great but a little more expensive. I use standard beads and then use a lead substitute for an underbody. It adds weight and builds up the thorax of the fly for me. I find the lead substitute also straightens the bead up when pushed into the bead.

Rob

Tom, I was not referring to the weight of the beads but the color. As for weight, tungsten is great but a little more expensive. I use standard beads and then use a lead substitute for an underbody. It adds weight and builds up the thorax of the fly for me. I find the lead substitute also straightens the bead up when pushed into the bead.

Rob

Rob, sorry I didn't realize your quote was included above. I do realize that you were referring to color. In the fishing situation I described above I have been using tungsten beads with led or led substitute wrapped in the thorax area also as I've wanted a LOT of weight. So my question is do you all think that I could get by in the fishing scenerio above with brass beads instead of tungsten.

Rob

Rob, sorry I didn't realize your quote was included above. I do realize that you were referring to color. In the fishing situation I described above I have been using tungsten beads with led or led substitute wrapped in the thorax area also as I've wanted a LOT of weight. So my question is do you all think that I could get by in the fishing scenerio above with brass beads instead of tungsten.

Tom, that is tough to say. Depends on how much weight you are needing.

Rob

The amount of weight you can pack on a hook with any combination of beads, and wire is directly related to the size of the hooks. You won't ever be able to get a significant amount of weight on a tiny hook. On larger hooks, 12 on up to 4, and in longer shank lengths, you can add two beads, and lead (if weight is your only concern.)

To get a size 22 brassie down to the bottom in any kind of a current you will need additional weight on the leader. A tamdem two fly setup will be one good way to get small nymphs deep. I prefer to use wire, and brass beads. The colors I find I use most are gold, copper, and black. Every once in a while, I may use orange or chartreuse.

As for what size you can use on different hooks, there is a post pinned at the top of this section about bead to hook sizes. Larger beads can "sometimes" be used, as long as they don't slip over the eye too far. Smaller beads won't go over the barb, or around to bend unless you straighten the hook a little.