Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Tying Flies for team USA

In the "first wraps" column of the new issue of Fly Tyer I read an article about team USA looking for an official tyer for the fly fishing world championships. They are holding a contest and the winner will travel with the team and tie all of the patterns for those who will be fishing.

Any of you guys thinking about entering that contest?

I'm going to give it a whirl. I figure the worst that will happen is everyone judging will get a good laugh! rolleyes.gif The really interesting part will be researching the host countries fishing and designing/recommending a fly of my own to use there and why.

Should be fun!

I read that article with some interest although I might have missed a few details as it left me with a few questions. For instance, how is the competition scored? That might, for instance, deterimine if you tie a midge or a 2/0 Featherduster as the one "creative" option you get.

The 3 patterns that they show as samples that you need to submit.......are they just being used for purposes of judging the tiers capabilities, or are they actual insects/flies used in the competition?

I'm tempted to enter and submit a green weenie or Infamous Pink Worm, hehehe. Somehow I don't think that's very "politically correct" for this occasion, but I'd hate to compete without a proven attractor......