Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
BassMouth87

Dubbing Storage

The few posts I have seen recently about thread and material storage has made me wonder about something that has been driving me nuts. I have a problem people, ok, I will be the first to admit it and my girlfriend I am sure will second that lol. Somehow I have manged to amass at least a hundred + packets of dubbing from all over the fur and synthetic material spectrum. I have tried storing them in those little accordion binders labeled in sections and found I out grew that method very quickly. From there I went to shoe boxes but could never seem to find what I was looking for. Right now I have a drawer in a 5 drawer tower stuffed with dubbing packets, dispensers and custom blends and yet again this still drives me nuts and has me rooting around looking for that one packet of dubbing I need for a certain pattern.

I am curious how others have tamed this beast, or how they go about storing and organizing large dubbing collections. I have long ago stopped purchasing dubbing and usually make custom blends from a pinch of this, a dash of that, and a base of fox,mink or opossum underfur, so I think my current collection should last a life time, but being able to find what I need when I need it is crucial.

I use the metal rings designed to hold embroidery floss. I put similar packages on the same ring and it makes it easier to find what I am looking for. I have most of mine hanging but the rings will keep things organized in a drawer also. I just put things like superfine on one ring and ice dubbing on another and so on. Most decent craft stores should sell the rings and they come in quite a few sizes. The smaller rings will keep things like brass beads or micro fibetts organized while the larger rings will keep things like dubbing packages or marabou packages all together. If I want any particular type of material I just grab the ring and it is all together. I still have drawers full of larger bags and its a pain to search through but the prepackaged things are very easy to find. I also have about 15 or so stackable pencil boxes on a bottom shelf at my desk. They are handy for keeping things like grouse or partridge or different pheasant feathers in. Before getting a golden or ringneck pheasant skin out of a drawer I grab the box first because it contains a lot of prime feathers in it. The same things goes for unused hackle. Instead of laying it down on my desk and then loosing it, I put the feathers in a two sided pencil box. When I want to tie a few dries then I usually have a saddle hackle left from a previous tying session saved in the box and I don't need to get out a neck or saddle unless I am really whipping the flies out. OOPS! I didn't mean to ramble, but I am kind of an organization freak...

That is not a bad idea at all, will have to look into that. As I said right now everything is stuffed into a drawer, I have a few things sorted in large freezer bags but I still find it a pain to sort through and deal with.

I also like the idea of a few stackable boxes for loose feathers, unused saddle hackle and partridge etc...smart thinking.

I am a bit of an organizational freak myself...as you can see from the picture below:

post-45233-0-43366800-1392173193_thumb.jpg

60 colors in about 12" tall tower. only about 4" footprint. You could go taller, or just a 2nd one for the other half of your collection. Each section holds a full bag (2grams) of dubbing for the most part.

Costs about $12 to make.

dubbing_tower01.jpg

i just leave the dubbing in the original packages and put them in a rubbermaid/sterilite shoe box.

i also buy dubbing in the compartment style boxes. saves alot of space.

its not rocket science but it works for me.

Jason, that's an excellent idea for stored dubbing. What are the containers and where do you get them? I like that it's not taking up precious drawer space or laying around in bags. Seems like everything is right at your fingertips. Please advise and thanks for posting.

That is not a bad idea at all, will have to look into that. As I said right now everything is stuffed into a drawer, I have a few things sorted in large freezer bags but I still find it a pain to sort through and deal with.

I also like the idea of a few stackable boxes for loose feathers, unused saddle hackle and partridge etc...smart thinking.

I am a bit of an organizational freak myself...as you can see from the picture below:

attachicon.gif desk1.jpg

Nice set up you have there.

Lots of room for expansion ...... LOL

acorn, the wood base and dowel were from Michaels craft store... You could get them at any crafty place. Just drill the center, glue in the dowel..

The containers are from Walmart.. they run $1 each. 1/4" drill bit and just drill each out. I