Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Gene L

Ante Whiting

The other day I was searching the web can't remember what specifically, now, but looked into a source from the late 19th or early 20th century.  I believe it was from a book or magazine and dealt with hackle.

I won't quote what I read, can't remember, but the article referenced hackle.  It said that to get a hackle, the author called on another source who had a rooster.  It amounted to the author and possibly other friends cut hackles from the rooster.  I inferred the rooster had this happen before as it said "...a visit to his long suffering rooster" or words to that effect. It was written in a familiar tone, as if anyone reading would know what was going on.  In other words, not a formal tone. 

I never thought about it, but hackle back in the day was precious and not harvested as necks, but a few  feathers at a time.  

I think this was before Indian necks and way before genetic hackle.  I'll look and see if I can gin up the original article if anyone is interested.

Harry Darbee was known for plucking feathers from his favorite birds - I'm sure he wasn't the first.   I'd be interested in reading the article if you can find it.