Fly Tying
Graham

Match the Hatch Challenge#8

Thanks for the kind comments guys!!!!

Ulf, Actually I think yours looks better than mine.

Personally, I like the translucency of the the beads. It adds a little more realism. When I started wrapping the latex, I just let it fold and it created a cool texture like folding skin.

I'm not sure if I like the case though. For me, it might be a little too big and not streamlined like most of the cased caddis I have seen. I think it makes the bug look a litle too small. Hey, you know you are always your worst critic!!! LOL I'll let you "expert fly tiers" be the judge.....

I was surprised how easily and quickly this one went together. I'll try and tie a couple more and post pics. I think I will experiment with case sizes and coloring. A little lighter on the bug I think.

Thanks again all.........

littledeschutes I think it looks great.You have given me a few ideas that i will have to try before the next challenge.Keep up the good work.

tt

I had no idea of what to use in making this little bugger and I don't think I have most of the stuff you guys are using so I made do with what I had. Don't laugh, it's my very first attempt at making any realistic type fly...lol...

user posted image

What would you guys recommend to use for legs. What kinda foam would you recommend? Is there a material list someone could set me up with to try and make one?

Global Fisher,

I think that using porcupine quills and japenese nymph legs looks GREAT!!! Not too expensive either. You can get them here:

Hatchmasters

Just tie the porcupine quills in and cut to the desired length. Then hollow out the ends with a bodkin and insert the japanese nymph legs gluing them with a little superglue. Cut the japanese legs to length and color them with waterproof markers. Thats it. Pretty easy stuff and the end result is spectacular!!!!!

Ok cool, thanks for the info.

Just wanted to let everyone know what I used on the above fly. For the case I used a capri-sun straw and burnt it then colored it brown with a marker. The upper body is a brown rubber ribbing material. Forgot what its called. For legs I just used copper wire. Looks kinda funny. I also forgot entennas(sp?)

I think that it's a really cool looking fly GlobalFisher! The proportions are absolutely right, and I really like the shape of it, makes it look super realistic! Keep up the good work!

When it comes to materials, I heven't been tying realistics for no more than three months now. But when it comes to new materials, there are not that much that I have bought since then. I still use alot of the stuff that I always has done for my regular flytying which means that I use almost everything that I can get my hands on! There are suprisingly much things in an ordernary household that you can use in your flytying, just keep your eyes open and your imagination flowing and you will find alot of stuff around you to use for the realistic flytying.

There are however some basic materials like 1-2 mm foam, japanese nymf legs porcupine quills and guard hair that I have bought and find very useful. The foam is probably one of the best material to use.

/Ulf

Yeah I was like "what should I use for a case?". Then I looked over at my juice and saw a straw sticking out of it. LOL! So I grabbed it and went to work.

I just bought some stuff off of hatchmasters. tan Japanese nymph legs, porcupine quills, and some 1mm white foam.

I think the toughest thing to think of is making the case. Took me a bit to notice my straw. What kind of adhesive do you like to use to stick stuff on a case?

Hi Globalfisher, Your cased caddis looks fantastic, using a straw was a great idea, the caddis looks real, like it crawling out of the case looking for lunch.

I'm always looking for new materials to try tying with. I have a growing collection of paint brushes, large and small, last week bought a synthetic sable paint brush at Michaels, was about 12 bucks, but it has many super fine, perfectly straight, nice tipped fibers, useful for tails, antenna, thin legs etc. Hand held dust pan types of brooms can have nice fibers as well.

Although I found the Japanese nymph legs a bit too thick for my cased caddis legs, this product is absolutely one of my favorite fly tying products and the natural tan color is my favorite. I have a bunch of different types of foam, Michaels has a nice selection of colors and thicknesses, all of which can be cut to size, but I still like the pre-cut strips from my local fly shop, which happens to be the Orvis store in Pasadena. I'm hoping to stop by there today for more foam and I'll take some picks to share because I usually remove the foam from the packaging and put it away in a drawer. I like the super thin razor foam as well as the pre-cut strips.

Nice tying my friend,

Graham

Thanks guys, hopefully once I get those materials in the mail(foam most importantly) I will have a better one tied up. Thanks for the tips, I will definitely use them!

Hey Graham, I wana be after you in the swap box...lol laugh.gif

I did a little different one last night but the legs didn't come out very well. I used some paintbrush bristlet and singed them with a bodkin but they seemed to burn right in half. Then I tried with just a lighter and it got way to short. The case is made up of dirt and rocks that were swept up on the garage floor.

Do they work? YES headbang.gif Fished one of my Cased Caddis patterns last week and had a few hits. Nothing to hand, but the pattern worked. I just high-sticked the line down a channel of moving H2O...I was using a 4 wt. outfit. Thom