Fly Tying
BoilermakerFan

Question about Redington RS2 rod

A local fishing store has an 8-wt, 9' two piece Redington RS2 rod on sale for $80 w/o the case. The RS3 replaced the RS2, but is the RS2 still a good rod for a beginner? It's a Medium/Medium-Fast rod so I know that's better for a newbie. Do all the Redington's have Lifetime Warranties?

I plan to do mostly largemouth Bass fishing so I was planning to get an 8-wt., 9' rod. Only thing I lose is the case, but the new RS3 rods are $200. I can buy a nice case for $40. This would allow me to buy a little nicer reel too and still be under $250 for the whole investment.

Thanks guys.

Eh, I don't know. I have a Reddington and I like it all right, but I like my Temple Fork Outfitters rod much better, and they're affordable. Here's What I'd do for a first set up:

4 piece 7 weight Temple Fork Outfitters Pro Series $140

Okuma Sierra Reel $60

Scientific Anglers GPX Fly Line $60

thats all for brand new, $260 just over your price. I'm sure you can find a used ro or reel for cheaper.

Just a suggestion. It's better to spend more money on the rod than the reel, so don't skimp on the rod to get a better reel. Most of the time I find my reels to be little more than a holder for my line when im not using it.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Mr. Jingles

My wife is a huge Weezer fan.

I was also considering the TFO Series One rods. I want to spend a little more and get a rod with a lifetime guarantee. The Sage Launch M-F 2-pc rod is on my list as well.

My thoughts were to buy a lower cost ($100-$150) slower action rod to learn with. Then if I stick with it and really get addicted, then I would step up to a better, faster action rod.

I need a little better reel since I'll be pursuing bass and will need a reel with a great drag. I fish a lot of old stripper pits on private property and there are some big fish in those pits!

I know your asking about rods but don't worry about the drag on an Okuma Sierra reel. They are tough and well built and a great value. Mine has held up to countless Steelhead in the Erie tribs so it would be more than adequate to do the job. wink.gif

Never tried a Reddington so I can't help ya there sad.gif

I have a 10 wt RS 2. It is a fine rod, a little slower than I'd like, but that would probably be good for a beginner. The price is definitely a good one for the rod. I've gotr rods from 5wt bamboos to the fastest 12 wt you could imagine...

If you want a faster rod, I'd go with a TFO...I've had opportunity to cast all of the TFO series, but I don't own one.

Mark Delaney

Thanks guys. I want a slower rod to start. For $80 I'll keep it and use it to introduce others to fly fishing or set my daughter up with it an a couple of years...

I'm going to call Redington tomorrow and make sure this place is an authorized dealer so I'll be covered by the lifetime warranty. I need to go back over there tomorrow anyways. I forgot to get tinsel and olive thread. mad.gif

Plus the guy that gives the lessons will be working tomorrow so I can talk to him too.

I called Redington and I would get the full warranty. Didn't have a chance to get back by there due to an issue with work. Had to run parts to a customer on my way back to Evansville.

I'll stop by next week and see if it's still there. They also had the Okuma Sierra real in a 7/8 for $40. That's seems pretty good to me since I would have to $5-$8 to have one shipped anyways. I'll buy the "beginner" WFF line since I'll be a beginner casting bass bugs anyways.

Does the backing type matter? Can I just use a 40lb Stren Super Braid? Or does it have to be a Dacron braid? The Stren would be a smaller diameter per test so I could use 40lb in place of 20lb.

The backing can be a super braid, which will probably be more than you need. Just be careful not to get the wraps of the superbraid so they don't come off easily. Also if you get a fish that takes you into the backing USE THE REEL. The superbraid can easily cut your hands. I only use superbraid on my 12 wt reel since the reel is a little undersized. I brok down and bougth about a 500 yd spool of dacron backing a few years ago. Still have about 150 yds left...

Mark Delaney

Thanks Mark. I'll be trying the Stren Super Braid in 10lb test on my UL spinning reel since it has a 3lb test dia. It's also a very fine braid so it's not supposed to lock into itself like some of the others do. The UL spinning reel will be a VERY good test of this line. I've tried about six other superlines on my light spinning reels and two were crap, three were decent, but have to be stripped more regularly, and one does really well all the time. I can't remember which one is the good one, I'd have to pull the reels and match them to the line spools.

I had no intention of not using the reel. I know you can bring in small fish w/o the reel, but I plan to use the reel all the time since I'll be going after BIG bass. biggrin.gif I want to make sure I learn how to fight the fish with the reel so that when I catch a lunker, I don't lose it because I did something wrong and snapped the leader.

BTW, my mom's maden name was Delaney her sisters still live in Northern NJ.