Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Fishigan

It's about the reel.

In the 7-9 wt reel range (salmon and steelhead)  

42 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I have an 8wt large arbor St. Croix that I use for both saltwater and salmon fishing. The drag on it is awesome, however the knob is a little tricky to use when its wet. The knob is big in diameter, but doesn't protrude enought for me. The drag got put to the test saturday when I hooked into a fresh king.........I ended up taking a swim all the way over my head on that one. If it wasn't for the drag system, that thing would have been into my backing a lot sooner than it did..........damn thing still got away though.... :ripped: :crying: :wallbash:

-Harris

for me it has to be light, durable (i'm rough on my fishing gear). as far as drag is concerned, I almost never use the reel to fight a fish. I mainly target smallmouth. It's just gotta be light and not fall apart and it's good enough for me. (if it looks cool, that's a plus also)

for me it has to be light, durable (i'm rough on my fishing gear). as far as drag is concerned, I almost never use the reel to fight a fish. I mainly target smallmouth. It's just gotta be light and not fall apart and it's good enough for me. (if it looks cool, that's a plus also)

I'm doing a review on the Okuma Helios. It's that kind of reel, but with a great drag too.

Stayed tuned for the review it'll be up soon on the talkflyfishing forum. This poll was actually for a part of the review and after all of the data is compiled it will be sent to Okuma.

I need to add a feature. A reel should be made with a "nurf" handle. I had a HUGE chinook on yesterday that took off UP-STREAM like a freight train. Went to palm the real and the handle hit my thumb and laid it open. Yup my drag was set on the firm side but he was going so fast it would still would have free spooled and made a bird nest.