Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Gregor

Circle hooks

Guys is anyone using the circle hooks for pike streamers? I have some, and would like to tie some streamers on it.

Anyone tried yet? I am not sure, how would the hook hold and hook up the fish, if it would at all? :dunno:

Please advise.

Regards,

Gregor

I've used circle hooks while fishing the ocean for bluefish and I must admit that they work well in certain situations. When fish are feeding in a rip and take the fly very quickly and aggressively, the fish hook themselves. However, in sight fishing situations where a fish might keep moving straight at you after taking the fly, it's tough to get that hook set in the corner of the mouth. Fish that strike and turn away are the best candidates.

Pike strike with an attitude and will turn once they have taken the fly. I have no experience fishing circle hooks for them, but that doesn't mean that they won't work. If you can overcome the hard wired response of strip striking or setting the hook with the rod, I think that they might work okay. As an added benefit, the pike would be hooked in the corner of the mouth, making it easier to free.

Dble Haul THANK YOU for that answer. I will better not try to fish with circle hooks. :D

Do you know, where I would be able to see some good pike patterns? :unsure:

You can see many more pike flies here if you go to the pattern database and search under pike. What you're seeing by clicking on the word "pike" in the text is just a small sample of what we have here.

I've tied some nice streamers on circle hooks but haven't had a lot of success with hooking up. I'm going to try some addition types of streamers on those hooks to see if perhaps it was the fault of the tie.

I rarely use any other type of hook when it comes to bait fishing.

ive been using circle hooks for the past 2 years for pike here in scotland and hook up rate is stunning with most getting hooked in the corner of the mouth

slange

mcfluffchucker