Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

My Steelhead Collection

I thought I would share the reason why I have been in hiding the past several days. Here is my collection of Steelhead flies that I have tied for the upcoming PA trip. I do have several of each pattern and some of them I have almost 30 so I should be set. It is by far the best set of flies that I have put together but with some of these guys tying #18's, I know I got a ways to go yet. Anyway for a Bass fisherman from Cincy this is about the best I could do.

user posted image

I think that is about my range of knowlege and I might end up tying a few more of some of those patterns but I don't think I'll be tying any new patterns unless something really strikes my fancy.

That looks great will, i'll put a pic of mine up soon....tyin like a freakin madman for the last few days tryin to get ready.

you have some good lookin patterens in there thumbsup.gif

SD

Will,

Did you see the recent Fly tyer magazine. The guy had a wild pattern called the Helgamite and uses it to catch all different kinds of fish.

Might be something else to add to your collection for the trip.

Fatman

You have a nice looking set a of flies there Will, but I don't see any Spring's Wigglers.

I wouldn't got Steelheading with out at least a 4 or 5 different colors of Spring's Wigglers tie them in a size #8 Olive, yellow, chartreuse, Grey and Red/brown Trust me on this one.

OSD.

Ya know OSD I have tried and tried to tie that damn fly and have had zero luck. I got a few and plan on bringing them but didn't feel they were "picture" worthy. If I find the time in the next few days I may just give it another shot, but believe me it's ugly sad.gif

nice selection you got there

i'll be builing mine up for next season when i have a good rod for steelhead probably a 9' 6 or 7 weight i'll build my self

i'm in trouble i've only built one and i am addicted

Hey guys,

The flies look great! The majority of the fly fishing I do around here this time of year is for steelhead. Sucker spawn patterns rock, although they seem to be more productive in the spring.

If you have the opportunity to try some blue or purple egg patterns by all means tie some up. I've had great success with them on all Lake Ontario tribs, including the Oak. I would think it would be the same on Erie tribs.

Make sure to take lots of pics and we're looking forward to the stories when you get back!

Nick

nice spread Steeldrifter

your going to make them all feel under prepared by the amount that you tied. smile.gif

Nice selection for the trip.

Thanks pacres

Being from MI the state that has more timber in the rivers than most states have on land wink.gif i feel underprepared without a ton of each patteren.

Although will has asured me i wont lose even a 1/10 of the flies in PA that i do here in MI i still wanted to have enough for everyone just in case they turned on to something i tied dunno.gif

SD

QUOTE (steeldrifter @ Dec 29 2003, 12:24 PM)
Although will has asured me i wont lose even a 1/10 of the flies in PA that i do here in MI i still wanted to have enough for everyone just in case they turned on to something i tied dunno.gif

I'm just interested in know what those "special" flies are gonna cost us dry.gif

OK ya got me will......the real reason i tied so many is,i was gonna sneek into everyones rooms at the lodge and hide their fly boxes then sell you guys flies at the river wink.gif

and i would have got away with it too....if it wasnt for you meedling kids and that dog! laugh.gif

SD