Fly Tying
omahajimc

Introduction

Hi. I've been pouring through the site for the past month, looking at flies, trying to tie them and getting some great ideas. I am a newly reformed baitfisherman and have become uncontrollably drawn to tying flies when I cannot get out to fish.

Becasue I live in Omaha Nebraska, I don't have a lot of trout fishing oppportunity but my job allows a good deal of travel so I am getting to fish most of the Northeast. As a matter of fact, I'm heading "back home" to Pennsylvania this week for Christmas and will be fishing the Neshannock. I've been told that #18-24 midges are the only thing to use at this time of year...the temp is forecast to be mid-30s - any suggestions?

Anyway, I'm not always this long winded......as far as you know.

IPB Image

Welcome to the site. Midges are certainly a possibility i the water warms a degree or two in the afternoon. This time of year you are most likely to have the best luck with weighted nymphs dead-drifted through pools and the back end of riffles. Believe it or not you can also provoke some pretty large fish this time of year with big sculpin patterns fished hard from the bank.

Good morning,

I'm not to good at Introducing myself when I'm lost,but I'll give it a wherl.

They call me jeffro at home, and needless to say you guys have an Awesome Forum goin on here.

Exellant Topics - Everyone seems to get along well - thats great.

I'll try not to get on anyones nerves. Please forgive me if I do

Welcome aboard guys! Glad to have you here. Don't be afraid to jump right in and make yourself at home. Pretty friendly atmosphere around here. Feel free to ask as many questions as you wish, you'll always find the replies very informative. Be sure to check out the sister sites as well, talkflyfishing.com / rodbuildingforum.com. Welcome

Sage

Thanks Sage8wt for kind welcome,

This is a very large Forum and lots a good Info on Flies etc.

I'm kinda slow on figureing out how to get around in here but as long as I pay attention It should'nt take long.

I see alotta Swaps goin on thats Cool.

Thanks again

Thanks Sage8wt for kind welcome,

This is a very large Forum and lots a good Info on Flies etc.

I'm kinda slow on figureing out how to get around in here but as long as I pay attention It should'nt take long.

I see alotta Swaps goin on thats Cool.

Thanks again

If you need any help on figuring out how to navigate your way around the site...just ask on this post and myself or someone else can help you out. Or shoot me a personal message (you'll see a tab labeled "pm" on it) and that will send a message to that person only. Good Luck!

Sage8wt

Thanks for Kind Help,

Geez there's alotta places to go on this Forum, I'm amazed.

Merry Christmas to all of you here at Fly Tying Forum :thumbup:

Welcome to the forum guys, glad to have ya. You found the best site on the whole danged internet.

Jeffro, where at in Texas you from?

Howdy Gregg A,

Thanks for welcome, I'm in Odessa~Midland area ya might say in the middle of the Sandhills.

Did you guys get to have a nice peaceful Christmas?? Do Hope so.

Thanks for the welcome guys - just returned from PA and only got 1 day on the water. Saw some fish caught as the afternoon temp went up to over 40 degrees. Didn't catch any fish but had a great day just being on the water with my son and 3 brothers.

The guys in PA were catching fish on egg and spawn patterns - we spent most of our time nymphing with pheasant tails and hare's ears.

Well anyway thanks again and Happy New Year!

Hey Jefro - there probably are or maybe a bit further north in S Dakota....I have a nice bass lake 5 minutes from the house but I have been bit hard by the fly-fishing for trout that my brother in North Carolina turned me onto so I don't get over there very often these days. Anyway there are Musky in that lake and I know several guys who target them - and I thought I was obsessed with a fish!

Happy New Year -