Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
down2earthlv

Xmas Leftovers Swap!

I have participated in many swaps over the years, and have finally decided to host one of my own. When you start putting away your tree and/or various other holiday decorations; keep an eye out for things to fall off, or like me, find things you can trim from....Maybe some of those 'icecicles' that always end up jamming the vaccuum, or clip the tail end of a garland strand, or possibly some copper wire stripped from your non working string of lights...Be creative and aim for fishable flys, but novelty ones won't be discouraged. I cant wait to see how many different ideas we can come up with. I'll be watching for the first 12 (like the days of Christmas) with 'I'm in'. I think Valentine's day (Feb 14) is a good due date, maybe it will help you to remember to buy something for the Mrs. on time this year.......he he he......

regardless of how many participants turn up, I'm still doing this....

Here is my first attempt, blue tinsel back, plastic tree pine needle legs, and red stocking dubbing....bead from my materials box.....

post-3723-1135640075_thumb.jpg

As this doesn't seem to be drawing enough attention, I'll throw my favorite Christmas refuse fly into the hat. I'll tie up my Original Big Ugly, an aptly named pattern… very ugly in the hand but very pretty in the water.

A few years ago while drifting a Big Ugly along the bottom in Four Bayou Pass off the east end of Grand Terre Isle, LA, I had something very, very large bend my heavy 9/10 wt. "stick" down so far that the cork separated from the blank... and then it was gone. It popped my leader like it was made of 8x!!

I never knew what kind of that fish was (probably a very large bull redfish), but it sure liked that fly!

Let’s see if this’ll spark a little more interest!

if this is the only people that are going to join i guess i have mine tied

i tied up my ghost minner made with the fur from the top of a stocking

Since there hasn't been any intrest here, I'll close the swap now....only 3 people, but it's still a swap! If you guys have them done, go ahead and send 'em in, I'll get them back out quick. Thanks for participating!

Joshua Sipes

4855 Vegas Valley Dr.

Las Vegas, NV 89121

Hmmm...I got Bowfin's flys just fine, addressed just like I typed in...... I haven't had any other mailing problems that I know of! Double check the envelope and make sure everything is right. I always take mine into the UPS store instead of mailing them from home, if there is any problems they let me know before I send them out. I'm not sure how you sent yours, but that is a suggestion. I really hope everything goes well the second time around, your fly looks great. You sure do have a treat coming from bowfin, his are really fishy! Thanks for letting me know about the mailing problems, since there are only 3 of us I don't think it should be a big deal if this takes a few extra days. And clearly none of this was your fault, you do have the correct address....here it is again

Joshua Sipes

4855 Vegas Valley Dr.

Las Vegas, NV 89121

Thanks again for participating! I have now recieved flys from everyone, I will have them back in the mail on friday or saturday depending on work.... I promise, no later than saturday!