Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Blues Brother

Hackle

There are so many types of hackle! I can't decide what to get! Turkey feathers, Partrige skins, Ostrich Plumes... I need a Complete Idiots Guide To Hackle, or something. Could you guys help me? Give me some inexpensive suggestions for wet and dry fly hackle, please. Thanks.

~Bryce

I guess your hackle needs would depend on what you intend to tie.

Basicly, dry flies are tied using roster capes or saddles. Capes will give you a wider variety of sizes, saddles more limited in sizes.

Wet flies are tied using hen feathers, they are webby. partrige would also be used for these.

Ostrige is usually fly bodies, nymphs, wet, etc...

turkey, depends on the feathers being used, biots can be used for tails and bodies, even wings..

I guess your hackle needs would depend on what you intend to tie.

Basicly, dry flies are tied using roster capes or saddles. Capes will give you a wider variety of sizes, saddles more limited in sizes.

Wet flies are tied using hen feathers, they are webby. partrige would also be used for these.

Ostrige is usually fly bodies, nymphs, wet, etc...

turkey, depends on the feathers being used, biots can be used for tails and bodies, even wings..

I am About 13 I've got It pretty good Its just the Hackle that allways gets me? :blink: