Fly Tying
KevinP

Tom Nixon Swap

Kevin,

I too am sorry to be so remiss in getting my flies sent in. I wanted to tie .56'ers, which was one of Tom's favorite patterns for both bream and trout. I have often heard Tom tell the story on this pattern. It is still his brother Jerry's, "go-to" fly when Jerry fishes just above Rim Shoals on the White River in Arkansas. (If you ever get the chance to meet up with Jerry, do so... as, he tells a story just as well as Tom did!)

However, I couldn't (and still can't) find my small box of Tom's flies (including several .56'ers). Now, when Tom tied for us, he insisted that we "fish" his flies, so I guess my oldest son and I "fished" most of them. Even though I know that many were fished, I should still have a box somewhere - #@**&&!!!

While I do have several Calcasieu Pig Boats that he tied, I could only locate one small fly. Tom tied it for me in the fall of 2002. So, I thought that y'all might like that pattern, the Cajun Coachman. It too was one of his favorite patterns.

Now this Coachman is different from the one represented in either the 1st or 2nd editions of his book, but it is the variation that I have seen him tie on numerous occasions. The Coachman that Tom tied for me was on a Mustad 3366 #8, but I utilized a #10.

My Cajun Coachmen are toe tagged and ready to ship. All I need is an address.

Thanks,

Kyle

WOW! I feel a bit better - I just found out that my flies weren't mailed out. I sent out a set to someone else - thought it was for this swap. My flies went out today.

The Cajun Coachman is a productive pattern for me. However, my Fav Nixon fly is probably the California Coachman. The Jeremiah Nymph One is another top fly for me. Both are being sent - so ya'll willbe getting 2 patterns from me - 2 productive patterns.

I learned quite a bit from Tom's book.

bowfin47, hope you find your box of flies that Tom tied. That's a treasure indeed. There is still plenty of time to get the flies in as the due date is March 31. I'll pm you my address and thanks for being part of the swap. :D

spanky, that devil bug is awesome. That's a fish catcher for sure :D Sent you a pm. Thanks for joining the swap.

bassgitter, wow!! I'm sure everyone will really appreciate the extra pattern. Thanks a lot for the extra pattern and for being a part of the swap.

bassgitter, your flies came yesterday. Awsome flies!!! Thanks for tying two patterns. I'm sure everyone will really appreciate them. Thanks for swapping. :D

Kevin...Due date was March 1. Are all the flies in and ready to be mailed out? There are some local bass that are waiting :D

Thanks. SullyTM

Oops...Looks like the deadline was extended to the end of the month! Nuff said!

Here is an update on the swap. 7 sets in so far--just 5 more to go :D

Sully, with the flies I've received so far, them bass don't stand a chance :bugeyes:

1. cornmuse------------Pigboat

2. Threader ------------Crappie Mickey-----received

3. steel45---------------Big fly------received----received

4. OLB

5. spanky---------------Devil Bug Wet------received

6. crotalus--------------Edson Dark Tiger Streamer------received

7. bowfin47-------------Cajun Coachman

8. SullyTM Pattern-----Sowela------received

9. bassgitter74---------California coachman/Jeremiah Nymph Two----received

10. chemprof2001

11. DaUP---------------Brim Streamer

12. Herman------------Zulu-------received

Sorry!!!! I'm late on all kinds of things this month. I'm late with Redwings pike swap, late with this swap, behind on my article deadlines, etc... And I've got the flu just to top it all off!!!! :crying:

I promise I'll get a boatload of pigboats out this week!!!

Joe C.

I finally will have time to tie these up....I've chosen the Yallered, a ratehr simple bass wet fly, but one of the patterns out of Tom's book that I've never tied. should have these ready to go before the end of the week.

Mark Delaney

Okay, it's been a whirlwind day. Packed up for 5 days at a trade show - 15 of the next 20 "on the road". No fishing for me :crying: :crying: except next Monday if the flight gets in on time and my wife is late coming home from work :dunno: Managed to deliver a pit sofa arrangement to my son's apartment, clean the house and finish all the paperwork I need to do before I hit the airport.

Anyway, got the dozen pigboats done, packaged and ready to ship. But I don't know where to send them!!!! :hyst:

I'm leaving in an hour for Vegas. Back Sunday night about 7PM. Email the addy to [email protected] and I'll get my wife to put them in the mail. Thanks and sorry about the delay. This has been the weirdest winter!!!! :o :o :o I just can't seem to keep up with everything coming together at the same time!!!

Joe C.