Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
yakfisher

1st Ultra Shrimp

This is my first time dealing with epoxy. This is also my first Ultra Shrimp. I think it turned out ok. I learned that you have to wait until the epoxy is in that in between stage where it is not runny or sticky before you apply it or it runs into the legs. I am toying with the idea of tying these for a fly swap on another site. What do y'all think? Here is a pic.

IPB Image

Hi ya Yakfisher,

My honest reply is that you have to decide which way you want the fly to ride. Hook point up or down?

If it's "down", then the antennae and feeler parts have to be swept upwards instead of downwards...I'm afraid the fly the way you tied it will want to flip over or at the very least, want to ride on it's side.

Don't get me wrong!...it'll still catch fish because is just a horny looking fly and really resembles a shrimp...it's just that there are things you could do to help make it more "fishable!"

Kindest regards,

Henry

Oshawa Ontario Canada

duckydoty, here is the link to the recipe I used. http://brianmullaney.com/ultrashrimp.htm I used 5 minute epoxy, but I am probably going to switch to the 30 minute epoxy to give me more time to work with it.

Henry, could you pm me with some of your suggestions to make the fly better?

Joe Thanks for the comment.

That is not bad for a first try. the only suggestions I have are , use less epoxy and do two coats it will smooth out the "shell" and is easier to controll than one thick coat. and dont cut the end of the shell at such a sharp angle, a shrimps carapace hangs out past the eyes pretty far and comes to a point. Just a tip with epoxy, use less, and spinn it in your vice to get the shape on the body, that you want. dont put the shrimp in a fly turner because it will make them more round and if it runs onto the feather legs dont try to get it off till it drys. epoxy balls or drips will just pull right off the feathers if you let it dry. I tie about 200 of these flys every year for weak fish,(all of my spin fish friends use them for teasers) so I know a few ins and outs with them. Check out ASWF.org for the recipe and tying instructions from Bob Popavics himself