Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
gespliesste

Is this true?

Take a #18 TMC 100 and tie a flymph on it. Note carefully where the hook is engaged by the vice. Now, take it out and look at it under a microscoipe. See the stress cracks? That WILL break at some point. Suer the hook is sharp and it stays sharp, but it does so becasue it is brittle! Do yourself a favor and switch to plain ordinary Partridge or Mustad hooks and use a file to sharpen them and cut the barb down to a reasonable size before tying your fly.

Rhetorical question:

If you're so certain that the hook will break, then why ask the question of "Is this true?" :dunno:

It seems like your mind is already made up.

Good Day,

Hmmm... I really have not had any major problem in some time with any of the "major" hooks manufaturers (TMC, Daiichi, Mustad). Once in a great while I will get a few hooks out of a pack of any of these manufaturers that have a minor problem. I personally think you unfortunately recieved a pack that made it through QC. Possibly a bad batch of steel or the wrong tempering heat... I have had the "brittle" problem with all manufactures listed at some point. Put the hook on the vise and POP! Pieces. Once in a great while I will get an unclosed eye as well. As i mentioned, think you may just have gotten a bad pack. Take or send it back. Bring it to the attention of the manufacturer. Can't hurt.

Steelie

Ive had daiichis break on a log but I do not think I have ever had a fish break a hook bend......yes break not yet. But you have just convinced me not to tie in a size 18 :hyst: :hyst: