Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
njflytyer

foam sheets

Just bought large white foam sheets at a deeply discounted price. Never used them before in any tying application. What's the best way to cut these up into smaller strips? exacto knife and ruler? And how big should these strips be? Primarily interested in making wing cases for emergers.

Hi,

I use a rolling cutter with a steel straight edge (actually my large carpenter's square). I usually cut foam for wing cases about as wide as the gape of the hook I'm attaching the strip to. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com

I use the ruler and razer technique, because that is what I have around. The only thing to watch out for - when the blade becomes a little dull, it can start to pull on the foam before cutting it, giving you an uneven strip. Depends on how precise you want to be.

I use one of those sewing rotory cutters on a small fabric cutting board, using a 12" metal ruler as a guide Dig around a fabric shop and you'll find several types. WARNING!! Those blades are SHARP. Nearly cut the end of my finger off with one. :(