Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
SwampHunter

Weed Guards?

I am in the process of getting ready to tie a bunch of deer hair mice. I fish alot of places that have weeds and logs. I know I am going to have to have weed guards on my flies, so my question is what size mono do I need.I was told 50lbs, but I have access to 60lbs. What size do I need? Anything I can use that's a smaller size? I have tried some 12lbs and it wouldn't work.

It really depends on the size of the hook and the type of mono you're using. I use 20lb Mason Hard Mono and it works like a champ. The trick is the diameter - it should be about the same as the hook shank.

Joe c.

The trick is to get the mono stiff enough to deflect the bug from hooking the weeds but yet deform to allow the hookset. I usually use 25# berkly trilene for my bugs,but on smaller bugs(bluegill poppers and such ) i sometimes use #14 trilene. It also dependa on the style of weedguard.

On foam poppers i sometimes just poke two holes in the foam popper body and glue a mono loop into the holes.