Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
mctwist

best hatch book for East of Canada?

Hi, I'm just starting on fly tying (still taking my first courses), and love it. I plain on getting a good tying book, but also a hatch guide. I live in north western New-Brunswick, just at the border of Maine and Quebec. I found this book "Hatch Guide for New England Streams" by Thomas Ames, which seems to be the closest thing I can get for my region, and also seems to be a relatively good book for North east US. Can you guys please tell me what you think.

Good Day,

It should point you in generally the right direction as you are too separated geographically. Check club sites in your area from the FFF or TU. Sometimes they will have very detailed hatch charts on their respective websites, but not always. Also, check with the local fly shop as well. And always, check with the shop or a guide you know and trust for up to the minute information.

Steelie

Ame's book is excellent(I have it)....the other book to add your info arsenal is Essential Trout Flies by Dave Hughes. This book breaks down flies by pattern type not individual recipes and also provides you with a basic strategy for filling your fly boxes. There is a lot of information in this book...don't let it's modest price fool you. Speaking of price, one of our other forum members tipped me off to the fact that walmart.com has discount fly tying books and I think the Hughes book is in there.

All the best,

Resident book addict AKA Hot Tuna

Thanks guys. When budget permits it, I'll probably just buy the 2 books. I already have Basic Fly Tying (great, easy book!), and just ordered Production Fly Tying by AK Best. It's supposed to have lot's of tying tips and techniques, which should be a great learning guide. I'll let you know how it turns out to be.