Fly Tying
TerryLee

How do you dub stuff?

I just got my first ever dubbing dispenser :baby: , with all the pretty shiny little furs in it. Now the question is how do I go about using it? I've seen the effects, the cool buggy looking bodies it makes but I'm not sure how to get there.

I know you get it onto the thread somehow, and there is some sort of wax, but past that I don't know.

BTW, I couldn't find any wax at Bass Pro Shop. Do I need it before I get started?

Thanks,

Terry

The touch dubbing method is simply spinning the dubbing fibers arround the thread

When you do this only spin the dubbing in one direction, either clockwise arround the thread , or counterclockwise, but not both. Basicly im just pinching the dubbing and thread between my fingers and then sliding my fingers.

What you are trying to do is to wrap the dubbing fibers arround the thread, you dont need a lot of dubbing, you would be surprised at how little dubbing is actually needed.

Diffrent dubbings are easier to dub, and the length of the dubbing fibers does matter, the longer the better,to a point. I have found that for me natural blends, like rabbit,beaver and squirel, are easier to dubb that synthetics.

Dubbing wax isnt an absolute necessity, but it does make dubbing some materials easier, it just makes the thread tacky. I usually use this when im dubbing the synthetics.

Hope this helps.

Terry,

Don't worry about the wax for now. When you get to the point in the fly when the dubbing goes down, pull out the amount of thread for the length of your dubbing rope, plus a little extra (this will be a practice thing, but most of my warmwater nymphs use 3-4 inches of dubbing rope, and I like things chunky). Then pull out the dubbing you need - this will most likely be a very small amount compared to what you first think you need. Pull the dubbing apart, making it thin and wispy. Then lay it along your thread, keeping tension on the bobbin with your left hand. With your right hand, roll the dubbing around the thread, always in the same direction, like spinning yarn if you've ever seen it done. Right to left accross the top makes it tighter, left to right accross the top of the thread gives you a looser dub. Then simply wrap the whole shebang on the fly, adding more dubbing later if you need it.

This is the simplest, and works for most materials. There is also the dubbing loop method, but I would start here with the dubbing you have. Remember, pull less out of the dispenser than you think you need, and then use only part of that.

Looks like troutbum and I were typing at the same time. Take your pick between the two.

I was actually told when I started, to take half of the dubbing you think you need. Then, cut that in half. I guess that amounts to taking a quarter of the initial clump you picked up.

Mike

All of the above. Less is best, especially with most dry fly bodies. If you spin too much dubbing on the thread, when you wind it on the hook, it comes out looking like a rope. If you want a fuzzier body, wax the thread and take a clump of dubbing and just touch it to the thread. Fibers will stick to the thread, and when you wind it, you'll get a fuzzier body.

By the way, the waxed thread that you buy isn't really waxed to accept dubbing, but rather to help keep the strands of thread from unraveling.

Just start tying, practice, and before too long those bodies will look better and better. Check the tutorials on this site, too. :thumbsup:

Try licking your fingers as you are wrapping it around the thread. Lil' bit O spit always helps too.

A thin fuzzy line seems to work best for me. That way you don't have large globs here and there and you can set the body taper by the line width and not the dubbing that isn't wound on tight.

I started out with wax but it really isn't needed. Most of the time the dubbing will wind just fine with thread. Another option would be to touch your forhead or side of your nose (not the inside) that'll give you a tiny bit of natural oil to help get you started and spin. I usually start just below the hook, spin on a thin bunch and work my way down a couple inches. Wrap that on and add more as needed.

Thanks for the tips, all of you. I tried one myself this afternoon and I see what you mean about using less than you think you need. My fur ant ended up backwards on the hook. Oh well, maybe a fishy will still eat him.

Thanks again,

Terry

After your fly is done, you can tease the dubbing. Not call it names and :P , but pick at it to make it look like you want.