Fly Tying
polock

fillet knife question

i use the cheap rapala fillet knives from wally world. they don't hold an edge worth a crap :wallbash:

what are some better brands of fillet knife i can look into that will hold it's edge for more and a few fish???

I like my rapala fillet knifes, I have several. Years ago I worked in a fish plant filleting fish using a german brand. I cant recall the name right off hand but it started with an h. It didnt mater after a while they all had to be sharpened. Another good tip is keep the knife clean, scales and small peices of flesh will hinder the knifes preformance. Do a google search and you might find something that suits your fancy.

You will always have to do some dagree of sharpening or touching up a blade with a steel or ceramic. For the past 16 years or so, i've used a Kershaw "Seven Step" with pretty good success. It's been used on only freshwater (Michigan) fish, from salmon to perch without a flaw. Blade is a bit "stiffer" than other fillet knifes, but it sure as hell is durable lasting me this long. The design of that knife with it's retractable lock blade does shy some people away i've found......but all in all it's been one of my greatest knives.

I have used Rapala and can't say a bad thing about them either. From the basic to the wood handled, and from the soft grip to the signature they all have been pretty good and with a quick touch up on a steel, they performed just fine.

Although the best fillet knife i've ever used were Global :headbang: I think there's 6 knives in their fillet series (or at least that's how many i was able to use) and all i can say about those (and to be blunt) is HOLY S41T! These knives aren't cheap by any means, but their sharpness and blade design is impeccable! The thing was is i never had to push my way through a salmon or even a pike. These knives allowed you to just glide through with a very minimal effort. But like i said, they aren't cheap......i think between $75 to $120 a piece :blink:

Hope this helps B)

I was gonna suggest a kershaw. I hate when the thinner blade knives flex and want to follow their own direction when cleaning salmon.

I'm just the oppisite Don, I like a blade that flex's on a fillet knife. Seems to make the cut from getting the fillet off the skin when you flip it flat on the table easier IMO.

I have a couple Rapala 6/7" knifes and cant complain about them. I usually touch them up with a V stone about every 8-10 fish just to keep it sharp. I also have a fiskers (sp) I believe it's called, and thats been a good knife for many many years. Has a shapener build right into the sheath which is handy.

I DO A CLEANER JOB WHEN USING A STIFFER KNIFE, I DO AGREE THAT A FLIMSY KNIFE IS EASIER FOR SKINNING BUT FOR CUTTING THE MEAT OFF THE BONE I LIKE A FIRMER, I WILL END UP USING A BUTCHER KNIFE SOMETIMES OVER MY FILLET KNIVES..... I JUST GOT A KERSHAW OFF EBAY FOR 12.00 PLUS 3 SHIPPING SO I WILL TRY IT OUT, I LIKE THE ADJUSTABLE FEATURE ALSO

Cool Polock B) Just a bit of advise with that adjustable feature though.......It's damn sharp, and grab it where they tell ya to ;) Then it's a good idea to take the whole blade out and clean it because the little adjustment grooves hidden up in the handle (if not fully opened) are prone to surface rust if left that way.

Other than that i think you will like it :D

I use an "Opinel" knife, I think it is model N29 Virobloc, made in France. It has a stainless steel 6 inch blade blade that folds into the hnadle. The blade is stiff but flexible enough to do the skinning trick. Holds an edge reasonably well but needs the occasional touch up.

Well as a man who fillets at least 400 salmon a year i can say i have tried all sorts of knives and i have to say i like the expensive stiff kershaw knives. They hold and edge much longer and they really work much better for filleting fish, especially big ones. The really make it easier to seperate the flesh from the ribs on the salmon and honestly i never really remove the skin anyway. I just peel the skin off while cooking the fish whether it's on the barbecue or on a skillet, much easier than filleting it off.

yeah and 15 bucks for a good new fillet knife isn't bad... thanks for the info guys

You arny cleaning them smallies (not that I give a rip if you eat any leagal fish) But :sick: smallies taste like :poop:

they taste great out of current river the water is very very clean i can't wait till bass season starts so i can catch me up a mess