Fly Tying
Alex C.

Easy Foam Dragon/Damsel

You won't believe how easy and fast this fly is to tie! You could easily crank out 12-18 of these an hour once you get goin. I tie it so it's about 4.5" long, head to tail. Try it with an olive or blue body.

NEVER BUY ADULT DRAGONS/DAMSELS AGAIN!!!!!!!!

Too cool!! I'm a little confused about what to do with the needle though. You said not to wrap the thread around the needle, but if you don't what is it there for? I'll warn you now, I am an idiot when it comes to these things, so keep it simple and be gentle, please :unsure: . Thanks, Terry

Heres a pic of putting the foam on the needle

IPB Image

then fold it down, and start your thread where your first segment will be, the sme way you'd strt it on a bare hook shank, except you're gonna stack the wraps on top of each other.

IPB Image

Then when that segment is formed, bring the thread forward, in between the top and bottom piece of foam to the point where your next segment will be and wrap around about 3 times. Then repeat

Thank you so much :D :D :D :D !!!!!! That cleared it up completely for me. I've been wanting to learn how to make these for sometime now, so I really appreciate it.

Thanks again :yahoo: ,

Terry :headbang:

Holy Gods, that's great. Midges and size 18 Adams are nifty, but tossing one of these big 'uns out there and waiting for the water to open up under it... well, that's just too awesome.

Definitely want to tie up some of these with my kid. He'll love 'em, too.

I'm really eager to tie the Dragonfly nymph from the main board, too. Just might have a summer with a lot of focus on the dragon.

NEVER BUY ADULT DRAGONS/DAMSELS AGAIN!!!!!!!!

*ahem*

:D This is a great tie Alex, and I am so gonna make several colors of these!

I just tied up one of these two nights ago with red foam when I was tying flies with my son and I can't wait to try them when summer arrives in a few months! Tied mine slightly differently but the outcome is the same!