Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
FlyMaker

Tying With Cree Hackles

user posted image

Thought I may as well throw thisa up here too!

I have been pillaging some Cree feathers that were purchased last year. I was lucky enough to get a neck, saddle and shoulder set from one of Doc Knolls' Roosters. This weighted streamer is tied on a #4 Daiichi 2441 Salmon hook. A small batch of five(5)were tied and the example pictured above is what I have settled upon for this pattern. It is a lot like most streamers and nothing new. The Cree feathers and epoxy head make it rather unique.

The D'Cree was started by wrapping the shaft with a good number of 0.035" lead turns, followed by a covering of tri-colored yarn rope. Olive, Yellow and Orange Uni-Wool yarn was first combined by twisting it and then winding this rope over the lead to form the fly's body. Then two matched Cree hackles were tied in at the hook bend-Deceiver style. Next, a small bunch of root beer Kip was tied-in on top, just forward of the body, and topped with some Rainbow Flash. On a few of these, "Tiewell's Reflections" was used for the flash material.

Six (6) wide Cree Hackles/shoulder feathers were selected and stacked three-per-side in pre-fastened sets and tied in. Then an additional short Cree hackle tip was located into the forward, dark center base of the Cree feather stack to enhance the vivid look even further. Next, a dark hen soft hackle was used for the collar.

Fine nylon mono thread was chosen for this fly; namely because it accepts color and epoxy so well. The head was built-up and finished decorated with markers to mimick the Cree colorations.

Finally, 5 minute Z-Poxy was applied to the head and sprinkled 2.5 micron, gold, holographic pigment sparingly around the wet epoxied head. Just before the epoxy set-up completely, 3D Mirage Dome eyes were located and pressed into the gelling polymer. The finale was a coating of Sally Hanson's Hard-As-Nails to seal the eyes and bring out the luster of the head's colors.

The D'Cree would be good bet fished in imbayments, estuaries and on reefs.

Rich Lewis

Nice, kinda looks like a Cockaroach, a common Tarpon fly used here in FL. Only we'd never put that much effort into it. cool.gif

A very nice looking fly. Great pic as well. You can really see the unique coloration of the cree feathers. I hope it's duable after putting all that effort into it. :B

Thanks for the positive comments. This fly should prove to be very durable. I tied a half dozen, so the roughest ones will get fished.

Here is another one from that batch. It shows the head's colors a bit better:

user posted image

Rich