Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
siestafred

Charlie Clouser

This new fly produced this beauty 7 lb Redfish today in Little Sarasota Bay on the very first cast. Sight fishing, of course. I was cruising the mangrove edge, saw him ahead, stopped the trolling motor, cast slightly ahead and to his left, stripped twice, he turned, I stopped stripping and let the fly sink, and he ate it. Great when it works out the way it's supposed to !

IPB Image

:D

Fred... :cheers: Another terrific clouser pattern. The pearl braid body looks great. Of course I'll be tying up a few for my "salt" initiation.

BTW...Nice catch! Hopefully, Canada will be just as rewarding.

Later. Thom

Thanks for the pic... what I like best is that the hook poiunt is hinden.... unlike many standard closers.... thanks...John

Nice shot :D Sight fishing gets you so charged up. Your skills and patterns are put to the test :devil:

Nice fish and nice fly. I'm going to have to tie a few of those up myself. I'm fishing the Ocean Kayak Masters tournament on May 6th and I think that fly would be a great addition to my box. There's nothing like throwing flies at tailing reds and being rewarded with the sound of line peeling off the reel!

Harris :headbang:

Thanks guys.

The idea of using the bucktail as a weed guard seems to be a good one. After you tie the bucktail on, you want to do several wraps around it just in front of the eye, like you would with a parachute. That keeps it together in a tight bundle. Then add the flash, the fox or calf tail (or whatever you care to use) and wrap over the top of it all. Pretty simple really.

Sight fishing for reds is truly one of the thrills of saltwater fly fishing, no doubt about that ! :yahoo:

Fred