Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
richla

"Raffene": what is it??

Hi:

(File this under "no question is a dumb question)

Can anyone tell me what "raffene" is?? I see Paul Whillock using it in his book,

but the local shops do not know what it is..

Can anyone tell me what I should be asking for?

Thanks,

Rich

Hi Richla!

Raffene is (to my knowledge) orginialy dried weed pressed toghether to form a sort of flat "paper string". Normaly you would however find the syntetic kind which in flyfishing stores are called "Swiss straw". I don't know if it's the natural or the syntetic once that Mr Whillock uses, I have tried both kinds and both has their own advantages.

/Ulf

Good Day,

Also known as rahpia or raffia:

RAFFIA [raffia] or raphia , fiber obtained from the raffia palm of Madagascar, exported for various uses, such as tying up plants that require support, binding together vegetables to be marketed, and weaving baskets, hats, and mats. It is also made into a native cloth that is exported as rabanna. The raffia palm ( Raphia farinifera or R. ruffia ) is crowned with enormous leaves that may be as much as 65 ft (19.8 m) long and composed of 80 to 100 leaflets. The fiber, which is soft, pliable, strong, and nonshrinking when wet, is torn in thin strips from these leaves. After being dried in the sun, raffia takes on a yellowish-tan hue, but it is often dyed other colors.

It is also imitated in a synthetic form. Usually known as swiss straw. Like the natural material, swiss straw is strong across its short width, but tears easily along its linear axis. However, the synthetic form is much more translucent than the natural material. Also, the natural material takes on color from markers better than the synthetic.

Steelie

Fast and friendly, you guys are great.

No wonder I could not find it! (I never would have known swiss straw was the same)

Thanks again,

Rich