Fly Tying

another hobby of mine

Jim,

I have been using the SLR for my fly pics recently, the contest pics were with my old camera

Hi Will, I was just wondering how to two compared to one another on the macro function. I have been looking at the Pentax and Samsung models.

Jim

Well, the thing with a SLR is you really need different lenses to do different things. Their is a specialty macro lens that I have my eye on that I will get eventually. So there is no real macro setting on the SLR but because it has more megapixels I dont need to get that close, I can crop it and end up with the same result.

Excellent pics Will! gotta love Photoshop, I have it, and probably havn't even touched it's capabilities.

What camera make and model do you have, cause I'm still shopping for one.

FH

Great photo's Will, and cool post processing. Photography is also my new hobby, but it sure gets expensive collecting lenses. I recently got a Nikon D200 and upgraded photoshop from 5.5 to CS2. I've spent countless hours in the past month learning how to program all the custom setting for each of the camreas data banks. Next week I will be in NY city for a few days, then up to the Adirondacks for a week, and I'm hoping to get some killer pics. I really like the Nikon 17-55mm lens and the 105mm macro. Anyway, I know it the shooter not the equipment that creates stunning pics and you have the talent, your photos rock. Some of the photography forums are very interesting, maybe we could discuss photography stuff on the FTF. I'm dying to take the macro lens to the Sierra streams. I'll get some new Hex soon pics in NY.

Graham

P.S. your kids are adorable.

Graham, I was actually planning on doing a photography forum here for quite some time so I just went ahead and created one. The topics does not have to be fly fishing related........

Awesome!!! We can even discuss photoshop stuff. I like the ability to take a 9 sequence bracket (using a tripod) then instantly layer them in photoshop, and combine the best exposures and lighting into a single pic. I really like using Nikon Capture 4.4 for working with RAW files, before taking them into Photoshop as Tiff or JPG. You can change many processes made in the camera, such as white balnce, after the fact. It amazing what the latest technology allows non-pro's to do at home.

CS2 allows you to work with NEF Raw files, if you download the Raw 3.4 update for CS2. I really like some of the smaller improvements, like "smart sharpening" as a new sharpening option. You can with with 16 bit jpeg compression as well as 8. You can see your EXIF data and rgb camera historgrams, etc. Seems like there are new options in each of the menu's. I used 5.5 for quite a few years and only upgraded a few weeks ago. Books by Scott Kely, such as Photoshop Down and Dirt Tricks are very helpful. About once a year the Photoshop training classes come to L.A. and I usually go, its time well spent.

Graham

Hey finhunter,

One thing I really like a lot that Photoshop CS2 provides, is the ability to look at camera Exif data. I had no idea that my old camera was embedding my camera setting in the jpeg file. Now I can look at my old pics and see what the exposure value was, the f stop, shutter speed, etc, and even the make and model number of the camera. It’s very interesting looking at the data on photos friends took over the years, especially experience photographers with a digital SLR’s. This info is really helping me to learn to use my camera in full manual mode, or at least aperture priority mode. I had never worked with NEF or RAW files before which allow for much higher quality post processing without the changes made during jpeg compression. I really am trying to learn how to produce much higher quality pics than in the past, and CS2 is very helpful. Surprisingly I’ve had quite a few pictures published, I have 5 pics in this months HomePower magazine, but that’s what I take pictures of most frequently, solar panels and installations. CS2 allows for correcting lens distortion, can straighten objects with unwanted lens curvature. Hopefully my new wide angle lens will take care of that. I’m used to having to fix my pics in Photoshop, and CS2 makes it easier.