Fly Tying

Selective Coloring Tutorial

I wrote this tutorial a long time ago for a photoshop technique site that I frequent. This is the same process that I have been using recently to get the colors into the black and white images that I posted the other day. Thought I would post the tutorial here for anybody wanting to do the same thing with their photos.

Step 1: Open up the photo you wish to apply this technique to

IPB Image

Step 2: "Right Click" on the background layer and choose "Duplicate Layer".

IPB Image

Step 3: Convert the new layer to black & white by selecting the layer then pressing "Shft + Ctrl + U".

IPB Image

Step 4: Goto Layer -> Layer Style -> Cover Overlay. For this image I choose the color: 850000 and the blending option is set to "Overlay". You can toy with the colors and blending options to get the desired look.

IPB Image

Step 5: Now erase the part of the layer you wish to retain its original color.

IPB Image

Step 6: Zoom into the photo and use a smaller brush for the finer details

IPB Image

Step 7: Zoom back to 100% to see your finished image

IPB Image

To keep the image black and white like I did on the images I did recently just skeip Step 4.

Hmmmm I bet that would fit nicely in to a photo forum :P is adobe photo shop down loadable?? I guess I can go look my self never mind!!

I wish I could add the color to mine. I have HP Image Zone Express. It allows me to do Black and WHite or Antique and then I can make it warmer or cooler, but no splashes of color.

HEy Where the heck did this come from???? Ok sorry I missed it imadumbass When did this come about???

Hi Will,

Thanks for the information. I'm going to enjoy this new addition to the site.

Tight Lines - Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com

Yea Graham I designed that template a long time ago and in fact it is one of the most downloaded phpbb templates. That was when I was first thinking about starting the forum and was considering using phpbb as a forum software. I never personally used that template but every forum that uses that as their base template has to include a link to this site as the footer(good for google ranking).

Nice tutorial. I bought the latest Photoshop to edit volleyball pictures and all I used it for was for cropping and using the "quick edit", and I was all excited just about those features. I know it could a whole lot more (or else they wouldn't charge that much for it ) but I don't even know where to begin. I need to spend some time and give this a whirl but it's the time thing that seems to be the problem. Thanks.