Fly Tying
colbyjack

outdoor scenery today

Picture of Kay Falls taken last Monday around 1 pm. Spent a couple hours there taking pictures. Had a ball and will be going back up there next week for a full day with full film pouches if the weather permits. Seemed that where ever I looked there were more scenes to photograph and explore.

IPB Image

Used ISO 200 film to do this shot. Took some other pictures of the falls using ISO 50 slide film and ISO 100 print film. It will be tomorrow before I find out how they turned out and if I can post them as the lighting isn't the best and I have to rely on the camera light meter for now.

Some shots taken last Monday while fishing. I love this area dearly. These shots and the previous post of mine were taken with in a 2 mile stretch of terrain.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Water is the lowest I've ever seen it. Normal water level for this time of year should be 3/4s up the sand bar.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Some still waters along the river.

IPB Image

Water level should be up in the willow roots. Coho, Sockeye and Kokanee salmon are having a real rough time spawning this year because of the record low water levels.

Hope you enjoy the pics.

Ernie

Wow! That's some scenery you've got there Ernie - not hard to see why you love the place. Thanks for sharing your pictures - makes me want to get back out there and prowl around some more.

Peter, if you feel like prowlin' around up here again, I'll take some time off work and show you some more spots that you may have missed the last time you were here. Between the fishing and photography, you'll have some looong days... LOL

Base of Kay Falls. More art than scenery. Just like the contrasting textures. Tripod was extended fully and camera angled up slightly to get this picture. The force of the water in spring blasts the rocks out making a bowl at the base of the falls that's fairly deep with water coming out all over the place.

IPB Image

I had some difficulties loading pics before so I have some catching up to do...

pic of pine creek canyon below my house

post-624-1158674641_thumb.jpg

Sandfly - very nice pictures - that's lovely country over your way - Ernie - thanks for the invitation - we plan to head out that way again sooner or later - in fact my wife occasionally mentions that she'd like to live out west again and I know better than to dismiss it as idle chatter - the last time she said that, I woke up one morning and found myself in Boise, Idaho for three years. Dangerous woman, my wife.

Guess I'm kinda lucky I'm not married, Peter. Last thing I'd need is a dangerous woman in my life as I've got enough silver hair as is. LOL

Got the slide film back this morning and here's some of the results. I used Fugi ISO 50 Velvia film and had to rely on the camera to do the metering for me. The camera used is a Canon T-70 with a f=28-100 mm lens and 62 mm opening. Exposure times ranged from .8 sec. to 1.5 sec. After looking at these shots, I know that I have to get a light meter now that slide film has a spot in my film pouch. I had to position myself to avoid the sun so I wouldn't be getting false meter readings from the sun in the lens so I'm wondering if a spot meter would be better.

The climb up to the falls. Camera was angled down a fair bit other wise I'd be looking at tree tops and the other side of the valley thru the viewfinder.

IPB Image

Various shots of the falls area. I like the way that the slide film treats flowing water.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

I'll be heading back up there again next week or the week after, if I can, to take some more shots of the bowl and other things that I saw. A waterproof covering will be in order as I was getting spray on the lens as far back where I was.

Ernie

Seems I recall the last time I posted some pics of Crazy Creek Falls, Fred commented how he'd love to see a slower exposure time to help make the water look like milk. Well Fred, here's some slower exposure times that you wanted to see. Thanks for the idea!

Film, camera and lens set-up was the same as the Kay Falls pics except I also used a f=100-300 mm lens with a 58 mm opening and polorizing filter. Exposure times ranged from .5 sec. to 1 sec. Looks like a cloud or two are my best friends to help control light.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

This shot shows a ledge I was standing on above Crazy Creek and the creek below. Think it would have been painful to take a wrong step.

IPB Image

Ernie

Thanks for the compliment Peter! Have to agree with you about the beauty of the waterfall. That's why I'm heading back up there to spend a day just doing photography there. Think you'd really like that place and could easily spend more than a day there as there is so much in that little area to photograph. I think I'd better sign up for a course in photography over the winter so I can learn more, learn to take better pictures, and get the most out of my equipment.

Here's a couple of shots of my favorite fishing hole about a half hour from where I live. The water in this lake is down about 6 feet right now and around 3 feet below normal levels for this time of year. Yes, those rings you see are trout rising to emergers. It was 0800 when I took these pics a week ago today.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Ernie