Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Mikeq

Size 10 pt nymph?

As a true imitation, a PT nymph in a size 10 would be large here in the Midwest. You will likely still catch fish on it, but not likely the bigger/'smarter' fish. A PT nymph traditionally tied is a good hendrickson imitation, which around me are usualy tied as small as size 20 or as large as 14, though my best success has been in early spring before, and through, the hendrickson hatch using 16 and 18s.

Alright ill propably tie a few up. Its just i don't have smaller hooks and I would think that for the water in the susquehana where we are(fast moving and somewhat murky) a little bigger might be good. Thanks for the help.

Thanks a bunch guys! Im going to tie a few and see how they work for me. As for using tungstun heads, i have found for most nymphs and even wooly buggers, giving them no wait once there wet works best for me because were i fish there is usually a pretty heavy current, it drags them right under.

I bet it'd pass as a small stonefly. I myself lost a Rainbow at the net on Cumberland River last year that would've gone about 19", and it hit a #10 Copper John.

i've tied a few as big as #8 and have had success. usually early spring and waters where big stoneflies are.

if you're going to use it on the susquehanna, i'd agree with putting a heavey bead head on it.

post some pics of the fish you catch on them.