Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
dafack01

So how big a fly CAN you cast with an 8wt?

I had some Neer hair at home (EP fiber type stuff) and tied a 7" streamer EP style on a 2/0 short-shank, heavy wire saltwater hook. I took it out back to see if I could cast it with my 9' 8wt Scott A2, a 200 grain Teeny line, and a short, stiff leader (2' of 30 lb Maxima, 2' of 15lb Maxima), and I chucked out to about 70' like it wasn't even on the end of my line! Which leads me to my question, exactly how big a fly CAN you cast with an 8wt?

I ask because our next fishing trip will be in October to Cave Run Lake for some Muskie. I'm wondering if a traditional-styled pike/muskie fly (the ones with a palmered rabbit strip head and a long tail) tied 10" with EP fibers and big hooks (4/0-6/0) would work? I'd make a dubbing brush with EP fibers and palmer it like the rabbit fur for a head and tie in a sparse tail like you see on EP fiber flies, cut to a point. I'm thinking that a fly tied like that will push a bit more water than a regular EP fly, but I could tie up a few of those too if my 8wt can cast it well enough.

I'd need a good bite-tippet too, which I'm assuming isn't exactly limp.

8 wt. should be about perfect for pike flies. Just remember if you are making 70' cast you will have a hard time setting your hook. For your leader you could use a wire leader or a shock tippet (a few inches of very heavy monfilament) like in salt water.

Blue Sky leaders make a toothy leader for musky and pike I use it for blues. It is 6 1/2 feet with a 1 foot blackened titanuim bite tippet with a clip for the fly attached.

Dave