Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
dafack01

Muskie patterns? What are your favorites for an 8wt?

I'm going Muskie fishing in October, and I'd like to bring the longrod to try my hand if I can. My problem is that my biggest rod is an 8wt, so any fly will need to be cast on that. I'm assuming with synthetic fibers I can tie some pretty big flies and still cast it with big enough hooks. Any thoughts?

Big flies that push water. My favorite is a Dahlberg Diver fished on full sink line along dropoffs. The fly I am really interested in trying on Muskie now though is the Schmidt's Salmon Snake. Check it out at the Schmidt's Outfitters website...the magic head on these is big, and I have not seen them anywhere other than at their shop.

Good Day,

I am with Redwings, big water pushers. Also, think of flies that imitate perch or bluegill. Good strong hooks, think saltwater hooks. If I am not mistaken, Michgan's record Muskie was caught in october in the U.P. i want to say it was int eh grass flats somewhere around Little Bay De Noc or something... Guy jumped out of his canoe with 50 degree temps to wrestle the ting into the boat... log cold paddle back, but worth it. A story to temp you...

http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/fishing_...igan_muskie.htm

Steelie

You should do a google search for muskie flies, check images as well, I just did, all kinds of info, and some great flies, a F.T.F. page comes up as well

Thanks for the flies and tips! I know that muskie flies should push water, I'm just not sure how big I can go on an 8 weight. I'm hoping that with a spun deer-hair head, about as big as a bass bug or something, and with a long EP fiber tail, about 8-10 inches, will be castable on an 8wt. I took a couple guided trips on the Cave, and both times the guides used lures with a lot of orange.

The Dahlberg Diver actually reminds me of one of the top Muskie lures on Cave Run- the Bulldawg. Picture a 14" long twistertail grub and you're close enough.

I REALLY want to go to Cumberland again next month, but the Trout bite all year. Once the fall Muskie bite's over (October's best), that's it for the toothy critters until Spring.

Well, looks like I'll be hitting Cumberland before I go Muskie fishing after all! I just ordered some of that Flash Blend to tie up some trout Streamers. 20 incher, here I come!!!!

I'm GONNA get me a freaking Muskie this year, too!!! :wallbash:

I won't be much musky help to you - being down here in FL. I will comment on your #8 vs. Big Fly question. My facvorite rod is a #8 that I use year round saltwater (and occaissional bass) fishing. Wind is always present...I'm also a big fan of long casts & big strips to cover water - techniques which seem to apply to musky & pike fishing.

My experience has been that a #8 might be getting a little light as you start tossing flies much over 5" - especially if you are using flies that are "pushing water" - like those with deer hair heads. This will be compounded by wind and casts longer than 60'. After watching a few pike/musky fishing shows, it looks like the technique is to cover a lot of water. So it seems that long casts are a consideration.

Check out the flies that Mark Sedotti uses for Stripers - these big hair-wing flies would probably work for pike & musky, and if thinned out would be very tossable on an 8. There is an interesting discussion in this thread...

http://reel-time.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41046&page=2

You might think about an intermediate shooting head on your 8 (or moving up to a 9 or 10) if you really want to toss the big flies. I've also seen some big patterns used in the Amazon that are very castable...I'll see if I can find the links.

Dble Haul could tell you tons on the best approach for Muskies and Pike so try sending him a PM if he doesn't see this soon. (He's probably fishing! :) )

Don't forget the synthetic streamers as well as flatwing streamers. Both can be tied as wide profile but lightweight flies that won't wear your arm out. I've got some of Ken Abrames Striper flatwings in my avatar, and there are loads of other choices. Tie your flies in the local baitfish colors as well as Yellow, Black, and Red/White, and you should be off to a good start!

I won't be much musky help to you - being down here in FL. I will comment on your #8 vs. Big Fly question. My facvorite rod is a #8 that I use year round saltwater (and occaissional bass) fishing. Wind is always present...I'm also a big fan of long casts & big strips to cover water - techniques which seem to apply to musky & pike fishing.

My experience has been that a #8 might be getting a little light as you start tossing flies much over 5" - especially if you are using flies that are "pushing water" - like those with deer hair heads. This will be compounded by wind and casts longer than 60'. After watching a few pike/musky fishing shows, it looks like the technique is to cover a lot of water. So it seems that long casts are a consideration.

Check out the flies that Mark Sedotti uses for Stripers - these big hair-wing flies would probably work for pike & musky, and if thinned out would be very tossable on an 8. There is an interesting discussion in this thread...

http://reel-time.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41046&page=2

You might think about an intermediate shooting head on your 8 (or moving up to a 9 or 10) if you really want to toss the big flies. I've also seen some big patterns used in the Amazon that are very castable...I'll see if I can find the links.

Thanks JJD and luvinbluegills! I've got a 200 grain Teeny sink tip (the shooting head kind), and that's what I casted that 7" fly with. Casted like it's nothing.