Fly Tying
dontheo

Isonychia Emerger

We use a CDC post, Mink Tail tail, and dubbed body on a curved hook, this year I have also been making a klink hammer verison that had a med dun hackle around the post.

Joe Fox

A soft hackle with maroon dubbing and a partridge feather wrapped in front does the trick for me. Very simple and easy to tie, and gets a lot of fish too. Got two nice 17" browns on the Beaver Kill yesterday on them.

This is from a buddy in the catskills:

I do very well with an emerger pattern:

Hook: #12 dry fly or light wire scud

Trailing shuck: Dark amber or brown Z-lon

Body: Purple black dubbing

Wing: Dark deer body hair tied down like EH caddis wing

Thorax: More dubbing

Body should be thing and only slightly tapered.

Quick and easy and deadly.

I don't do very well with ISO emerger patterns for some reason, especially weighted or beaded patterns. Maybe it's just me and I'm just not doing it right. It's not a very big hatch here so I don't concentrate on it. But if I happen to hit a hatch just right, I find when the trout are zeroing in on ISOs they are very selective and turn up their noses at most traditional emerger patterns and the first two stages of the hatch, so I wait it out. Instead, the larger trout tend to hold back and do a lot of cherry picking, keying in on slow drifting cripples in the slack water and accumulation areas at the back of the pools , so that is how I tend to fish them. The flies I have had most success with are the compara style cripple patterns with a curved abdomen hanging just below the surface film and fished on a long slow uninterupted dead drift. More than once I have had large trout follow a cripple ISO the entire length of a drift only to smash it at the very last second.