Fly Tying
sniksoh

flies for largemouth bass

I think you will find the effectiveness of the patterns to be dependent on the water. Clear lakes are more fly fishing friendly than a muddy river.

My favorite fly:

IPB Image

Its designed to imitate a herring which run into fresh water to spawn - fished in rather clear water its easy to see and big enough to tempt a lazy lunker.

In stained water you really need something that will push water my fly would probably be just a waste of time.

This fly works well on my local bass...

IPB Image

Hey I am new here.

Could you tell me where you got the cone for this fly. I would like to tie some of these flies but can't find the cone.

Thanks

Randy

I've caught my biggest fly rod Largemouth on a giant Olive Woolly Bugger in a creek behind my aunt and uncle's house. It was every bit of 3 pounds, which isn't a truly big bass, but would YOU complain with a 3 pound largemouth? It was big for a creek at least. I tied it on a #2 TMC300 hook (which is 6x long). With a tail about as long as the hook, the fly is about 4" long. I LOVE fishing tube jigs when I spin fish, and I kinda consider the Woolly Bugger to be the fly rod equivalent of a tube jig. A few rubber legs on the thing couldn't hurt either.

Bow to the bugger!

For what it's worth, around Louisville there are 2 lakes that are absolutely POUNDED by anglers and pleasure boaters. It's INSANE how much pressure they get. I have MUCH better luck (both quantity AND quality- my biggest at one lake being 4lb 11oz, which is a GIANT at this lake- it sucks that bad) fishing little stuff like rooster tails. Tying a Woolly Bugger with a spinner on it (and a barrel swivel on your leader to prevent twisting) would do a killer roostertail. You can buy the spinners for inline spinners online. Moral of the story, it isn't always the big stuff that catches the big fish.

Never be without a Wolly Bugger while hunting bass. Olive and Black are perennial winners, while craw colors are good to have. When it comes to streamers I've gotten more Largemouth on synthetics than feathers, but more Smallmouth on feathers than synthetics.

'Course, I've gotten more bass of all species on rabbit strips than anything else I throw. A White Zonker works almost anywhere, and tied in 2 to 3 inch sizes will get strikes from all kinds of panfish as well as bass.

I think white is a key color for bass, imitates baitfish. A nice simple fly is dumbell eyes on a hook, white chenille and lots of white rubber legs all over it... Fish it on the bottom like a jig...

post-7137-1159394339_thumb.jpg

i was attempting the burks v worm variation in the pattern database and thought id throw in what you said. the real question is do i have enough rubber legs?