Fly Tying
mjcato

Advice for Startup Equipment/Materials

My son is interested in learning to tie flies. What equipment/materials does he need? Are there kits you would suggest, or sources of gently used equipment?

Thanks for your advice!! :)

99% of the time I'd reccomend staying away from a kit. Reason being that often you get a lot of stuff you'll never use. But for kids, and I guess it depends alot on how old your son is, I think kits are alright. Especially if you don't have the budget to support a child's tying habit. One kit I would highly reccomend, that won't hurt your wallet, and will keep a kid busy for a while is from Cabelas, and it was given to my daughter(8 years old) as a gift last year and it served her, and her little brother, very well. Heres a link

Cabelas Tying Kit

You can get it with or without tools and vise, she got the one with tools and vise and the tools are descent quality and she can get the job done. It comes with a nice manual with step by step pictures and instructions for each of the flies, and she had no problem getting things figured out. You get enough material to tie enough of each fly that they can fill up a small fly box pretty easily.

If you go to this page on cabelas site

all of their kit packages

you'll see if you want, you can really spend some serious cash on a kit. I would reccomend staying away from the high dollar kits. Cause then you will almost certainly get some stuff that you just will never have any use for. Instead fgure out what they'll be tying, and buy the appropriate materials as needed. SOme things might seem sorta expensive, but you'll soon realize that you are getting nearly a lifetime supply with some of them.

Thanks for the info!!

I have been looking at Cabela's standard and deluxe tool kits (with case). Are the additional tools in the deluxe kit worth the extra money? What are your opinions about these kits? I am interested in providing my son with a set of quality tools and letting him find fly building materials locally.

Looks like the only thing that he'll get alot of use out of that isn't in the standard kit are the tweasers($2 at Wal Mart), and the hair stacker(which runs about $5-$10 for a basic one). THe bodkin or a finger work well as a half hitch tool. The vise comes with a pedestal so I wouldn't worry about the c-clamp, then the only other thing they got on there that isn't in the standard package is the wooden box (both come in a wooden box)<_< , and "large and small hackle pliers", IN ADDITION TO THE HACKLE PLIERS ALREADY UP THE LIST, double <_<

:lol:

So if I was gonna pick one or the other of these two tool kits I'd take the standard. Save that $15 for tying amterials, or a vise upgrade down the road.

the biggest concern you need to have is a decent vise. I agree that if he is just starting out, you dont want to put out a whole lot of money. As a kid who got started with a starter kit nearly 20 yrs ago, I suggest getting a kit, and see how much he ties. If he is really into it, and he isnt frusterated by learning how to tie. then go for a quality vise. The tools arent much of a concern. Most all mine are cheap knock offs I got at bass pro. They work just fine for me. Just make sure that the bobin has a ceramic insert. if not it might fray the thread, and possibly deter him. Good luck. This hobby is a blast!!!! :headbang:

Heres my list of must haves: Brown and grizzly hackle cape(half cape is fine), hares mask, black and olive chinniel, peacock herl, pheasant tails, and pearl krystal flash. Fo tools you need: A good pair of scissors, a ceramic bobbin, rotating hackle pliers, whip finisher, and a good vise. I would recomend a fixed jaw vise, or if you know that they will stick with tying go right to a Regal, HMH, or Renzetti.

He's 11 and, according to him, he's been fly fishing for 4-5 years. I'll let him reply from now on. :D

Hi, thanks for the information - I'm looking forward to tying flies. B)

an 11 year old playing with feathers is a wonderful thing...

do YOU tie flies or is there someone there to be a hands on person...he can get tons of info from this site or books etc...however there is no comparison with a teacher one on one...if you don't tie or know someone who does then check out the local trout unlimited, fff, etc. councils

fly tying is at first a few simple techniques needed to tie a fishable fly

with plenty of practice it's easy to become accomplished with (hate the term master) these simple techniques but if he doesn't have someone to show him lets say...the correct amount of thread tension required..then he'll never be sure...they'll always be a lingering question...

if possible i strongly suggest him taking a course from a reputable sorurce before you purchase anything, they'll walk him through each tool and technique and materials, what is good, or not needed etc....

some schools like the tu in my area have evrything for the tyer wannabe to use... more than likely there will be someone else learning to tye next to you with the same questions to ask

the info you've recieved from this site is extremely helpful and will continue to do so...but if it's at all possible then look for the classes in your area...if not then have fun anyway and tie your butt off and don't be afraid to ask a zillion questions...you'll be wrong if you don't ask

have fun

ted