Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
robow7

Tying two tone buggers

What do most think about tying buggers where the maribou is a different color from the chenile color. Standard patterns such as black chenile & black maribou tail vs. say a black chenile and purple or red or yellow maribou?? Just wonder what your favorite combinations are or do you feel that two different colors is rarely or never superior to mono-tone buggers. Just curious as to what other's experiences are. Thanks

For trout, black on black or olive on olive are my winners. For LM Bass, a black body with pink marabou and white hackle is my go-to bugger. I started experimenting with a "micro bugger' for trout this year in pressured streams. It is tied on a 16 or 18 hook with a bright green body, red tail and white hackle. It seems to get attention.

cheers,

Michael

I like two tones - in fact I use a lot of the variegated chenille colours, olive/brown mostly, and also like the black marabou best with a little purple in the tail, it seems to add a nice contrast that works REAL good.

I have tied numerous different variations of buggers that have different colors. Some of the best producers actually use two different marabou colors. ie. black with one yellow in the middle to add some contrast. Most variations are all earth tone colors for trout, you can get a little more creative with bass, they like some of the brighter colors with flash.

Try purple darker the better. Switch from black tails to purple while using the other color for the body. I also get good results from the different olive combos. Places that sell yarn are the best!!. You can find yarn that has color fades, in all different shades. For bass I find that buggers with short stocky maribou tails are the best. There is one place that I fish, all they will take is short tail bugger, small and large mouth. They love my bugger with Green maribou tail (stocky and short), olive body, and furance hackle. The best thing about buggers is getting creative. Let your imagination run wild.post-4224-1162527684_thumb.jpg Have fun with it!!!!!!! :headbang:

Olive and black is hard to beat here in MT....and the browns sometimes will really nail a yellow and white for some reason.

Try a chartruese body and a brown marabou tail wih a few strands of chartruese Krystal Flash. Good for early season trout.

John

I like a brown body with a black tail and black hackle. Olive and black are good to. Don't forget a little Crystal Flash.

When I saw the thread title .. Tying two tone buggers, I assumed you were talking about 2 different colors of marabou in the tail. I tie one with a brown over rust tail, peacock body with a very webby silver badger hackle and a bead head and pound the smallies here in Arkansas. I fished a black over chartreuse tail with a black hackle and black chenille body during a caddis hatch and caught fish. I would almost rather use the "stacked" marabou pattern.

Mike

A combination that a departed friend shared with me was a olive body, with the last couple of wraps of bright red by the eye of the hook (two tone body) and using grizzly hackle. At the time was a killer for steelhead on our local river.

This one works well here in western MT when fish are spawning. It's just a craft store pink plastic bead for a head.

IPB Image