Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
nrthcsteel

1st tube + ?ss

Hey there. First off great flies lately in posts by all. Well I am throwing a little bit of everything in my winter box so I decided to try a few tubes. Just got my stuff today and this is my first attempt. I was tying some orange herons last night so I just kind of threw this together with stuff I had laying on the tying desk, a kinda cleaning up the desk fly! The hook is a little big I think but it was just laying around so I threw it on to take the pic. A couple of tube questions. On some tubes they seem to be tied in the round so to speak, like a popsicle marabou pattern while others I have noticed a long top wing or I should say a definte top and bottom. Does the long upper wing make the fly ride upright. Does the hook placement as in up or down have an effect on the way a fly swims? I have only tied on regular hooks so I am used to a top and bottom. I just dont want to tie these up and have em swimming upside down and sideways you know. Anyway any thoughts,critiques and info would be most appreciated. Davidstrout Im off to check out your sight, really like your style! Oh yeah what are those turbo heads suppose to do? Seems to be a little uproar about them. Take care. Kevinpost-4870-1164688400_thumb.jpg

Duuuude I would totally fish that fly....

With regards to your questions

A long "top" wing will help the swimming properly provide that the material is "denser"than that on bottom

Check out Juri Shumakovs russian bullet series and his justifications for tying so re:hydrolics and fly posture...amazing stuff....his passing was too soon in this life....

Some patterns I will tye in the round so to speak and not even worry about posturing, howver there is something incredibly asthecally pleasing about a tube with a Top and bottom.

One thing I have been learning (because the end ofthe tube is the end ofthe fly) is the importance of concentrating on the head and the wraps to secure last materials...its a tough lesson but some progresss is being made...

Incidetally, the fly in the lower right corner hung a beautiful 23" + brownie on some hard fished public water about a year ago...hammered it on the swing...so if it looks chewed its because it was!!! Lifetime fish for that river....

Thanks for your words and I love your fly!

David

post-4355-1164693963_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the reply David. Checked out your sight tonight, Looks great! Was drooling over the materials page, Some cool stuff. Will probably be contacting you soon, thinking of letting you cut loose on a surprise bunch of steelhead patterns, and of course I have to have one of those striper shrimps I believe you call it, dont know what it is about that pattern but I sure like it. Thanks again for the tips and the info and the pics, always like seeing your flies. Will talk to you soon. Kevin