Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Big Mac

First wooly bugger/worm

I say first cause I only tied maybe 2 dozen or so flies about 10-15 years ago. I've still got lots to learn. These two took me a while to do, but I was very happy with them. What do you think? Not sure if i wrapped the tinsel the right way, should it go counter-clockwise?

post-10087-1170269745_thumb.jpgpost-10087-1170270018_thumb.jpg

They look pretty good

The only thing you might want to keep in mind is not to trim the tail like you did on the red-tailed one. Determine the desired length and cut it at the tie-in point. ;)

Have Fun! Materials have come a long way since then. (Hang on to your wallet...LOL)

Looking good !

Seems to me those 10-15 year old memory cells managed to stay pretty fresh !

Tinsel wrap is either way you want - the fish don't know the difference !

Fly on the left is a wooly worm, which SHOULD have a trimmed-to-length tail.

They look great! Shoe has a good point, you usually don't want the "paintbrush" effect at the tail. Both those will catch fish. Kinda like riding a bike, huh? Welcome back.

Thanks for the replies. I took me a few attempts to get it right, but once I relaxed it was like riding a bike. I've been hooked on this stuff all day.(laid off) I made a few more buggers and worms today plus a few dragonfly nymphs. I'll post a couple pics of those later. I was just wondering what was the most durable way of wrapping the tinsel to hold in the hackle in place.

The best way to wrap your tinsel, and even better wire is the oppisite way, and through the hackle once its been wrapped. If you wrap your hackle clockwise, wrap your wire or tinsel counter clockwise. It will bind the hackle to the body of the fly better. Flies look prety good.

flies look good...welcome to your new obsession.

Thanks. Obsession, no kidding! been playing all day! Heres a couple more pics. Joe Hard, thanks for the tip on the tinsel :headbang:

post-10087-1170297977_thumb.jpg

Dragonfly nymphs

#1 #2 #3

post-10087-1170298141_thumb.jpgpost-10087-1170298045_thumb.jpgpost-10087-1170298116_thumb.jpg

Looking good !

Fly on the left is a wooly worm, which SHOULD have a trimmed-to-length tail.

Yup, thought about it after my post. I've always used synthetics/wool for that kind of tail.

My bad :crying: