Fly Tying
breambuster

Killer Big Bluegill Fly Swap

I don't fish for them, there are none here. If you don't mind though, I'll look up a pattern and tie anyway. So I'm in if that is okay with you. :)

That's fine, Inconnu. Many trout flies are effective for 'gills. Let me know a pattern when you decide on one.

Glad to have you aboard.

Take care

BB

This swap is only a few hours old, and already, there are only 4 spots left. If you want in, you'd better hurry.

Thanks to all who have joined so far.

BB

Welcome Batman, flyfishingtaz, and Madkasel. This is going to be a great swap. The 'gills had better watch out!

Take care

BB

I'm very excited about this swap... and I note with interest that your very avatar is a Morrisfoam Predator!!

I think I'll tie mine dark... probably use brown foam, hare's ear dubbing with green and orange sparkle mixed in, and some pumpkin colored sililegs.

How's that sound? If anybody else was thinking about doing a Predator for this swap, they could certainly do so with lighter colors.

Very good choice, Inconnu. The Tellico Nymph is a good bluegill pattern. I'm looking forward to seeing your work.

Also, Madkasel, the dark Predator sounds great. And as you say, someone else could tie a lighter one. There are also two ways to fish them. I have caught nice 'gills on mine fishing it like a grasshopper on top. Just move the rod tip occasionally, just barely enough to make the fly twitch, but not enough to move it from the spot. But Skip Morris suggests fishing it on a sink-tip or sinking line so that the fly is submerged but floating toward the surface. I haven't tried that, but I hope to this summer.

Take care

BB

hello BB....

If you would like to let ncbluegill in, I can back out... I am in 1 already and since he is new, I would not mind. I am sure there will be many more to attend...

your call....